Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jewellers bench

Default Jewellers bench

I needed a new bench as Id outgrown my old makeshift one.

However after looking at the pre-made offerings I was left gobsmacked at how flimsy and inadequate they looked ( not to mention overpriced! ) if I was spending £800+ then I'd get something substantial but call me tight if you will, but there was no chance of me spending that much on one.

So.. After a quick trip to B&Q here's my own creation and I'm rather pleased with it. Rough around the edges and not perfect but built like a tank which is exactly what I wanted. 4ft wide and plenty deep. Will be putting the finishing touches to it tomorrow.

4hrs work and £65. Result!

Nick

Love to have one ,can u make one for me lol.btw looking good

Looking good. I'd love a proper bench but have no space. I'm either in my sister's loft while they're at work or using my dressing table. Not easy to make stuff in a one bedroom apartment (with neighbours above, below and either side)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by flowerpecker View Post
    Love to have one ,can u make one for me lol.btw looking good
    Looks great Nick. Perhaps we could form an orderly queue?

Tops not on properly, skirting needs putting on, as do the sides. Then sealing the wood with a clear laquer etc.

Whole point of the exercise was to 'try' and get a decent workbench but without spending silly money.

I'm happy to spend lots on tools and equipment though!

Nick

Congratulations Nick, it's very satisfying to work with something you have made yourself. regards, Dennis.

If carriage was paid, and for a reasonable fee, Id happily build these for folks on here!

Prior to making this I was using an old DIY workbench that I'm bastardised for jewellery work so good on you for using a dressing table etc.

That's exactly my point, the commercially available benches aren't particularly well-made and cost a fortune for what you get.

They just don't represent good value for money in my opinion.

Nick

The other motivational factor was getting a GRS bench mate system, so I needed something substantial to attach it too.

Nick

Nice work Nick
    Im still using the desk I had my OH make for painting, its oak so nice and solid but no cut out.
    I keep wondering if I should make one but can't face losing all that space! ( its full of stuff lol)
    Why does everybody have a cut out? just to have the skin to catch stuff?

I think the cutout is for the skin as you say, and maybe the ergonomics too?

IE you simply rotate left and right and your tools are easier to access? Good question though and I'm sure someone like James will know the official answer.

I'm hoping mine will last me for years, hence making it a fair old size and very sturdy.

Sides and a small shelf on this morning.

Nick