Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jewellers bench

Thanks Keia, and I'm sure you paid top dollar for your bench too right?

Mines not a polished creation, a little rough around the edges, but perfect for my needs. Stuck a hammer / plies shelf on now too.

Watch this space as I 'may' have a nice one for sale for next to nothing shortly.

Basically I asked a friend who's a joiner to make me a jewellers workbench based on one's commercially available, only constructed much better with dovetailed joints, stronger wood etc.

That was several weeks ago now, but in the meantime I became impatient and ended up building my own as you can see.
    My friend is still building me the original one, but when completed I'll have no use for it so will offer it up for sale on this forum for a nominal cost if anyone's interested.

Cheers,

Nick

As you can see I love my bench skin but it does get messy when in full flow. My new bought bench in my new space has a tray and I'm not sure I'm going to like it as I keep banging my knees, in fact the whole height just doesn't seem right for me. Time will tell!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	7056 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	7057

I think both those setups look great.

The first one ( old one ) has that well used and worn in look that's fantastic, and has lots of character to it.

The new one looks good too and appears to be in a lovely looking space. Great positioning for the natural light too!

I see what you mean about the tray and knee space though.. Wonder why they didn't mount the tray higher to allow for more legroom?

Can I be really cheeky and ask what it cost you please?

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post
    I think both those setups look great.

The first one ( old one ) has that well used and worn in look that's fantastic, and has lots of character to it.

The new one looks good too and appears to be in a lovely looking space. Great positioning for the natural light too!

I see what you mean about the tray and knee space though.. Wonder why they didn't mount the tray higher to allow for more legroom?

Can I be really cheeky and ask what it cost you please?

Nick
    This is where I got the new one Nick thanks to George as they don't come up in a search http://www.wnealservices.com/acatalo...rkbenches.html. £240 + 30 delivery.
    It's a heavy solid beast when it's put together and is quite well made although I had to glue to the tool shelf back together. I know that you are supposed to work at that sort of height but I never have which is maybe why I have back problems but I would still like to cut it down a bit.
    That is my clean workspace with a new perspective I hope to give me a kick, it's a multi use cabin so will be a clean space. I've outgrown my workshop since joining forums and buying lots of stuff:/ and was feeling a bit stuck so all the soldering polishing and machinery will stay in the wee space. That is all the plan anyway and the new space will be an extra venue to accommodate the 350 people that visit during the Open Studio.
    I know Carole bought a few of these benches for her new workshops at the same time and she was really pleased, I may stay in my hovel in the winter and use it in the summer when I can commune with nature or contemplate my navel

Ah so thats what skins are for Caroline ! LOL
    I couldn't cope with the height of the new one, even standard benches are too high for how I like to work and that looks extra high.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Ah so thats what skins are for Caroline ! LOL
    I couldn't cope with the height of the new one, even standard benches are too high for how I like to work and that looks extra high.
    that's what mine looks like when I have 12 pieces on the go at the one time. I then can spend 20 mins looking for something I've dropped!!
    I think I'll have to take a bit off the legs and take out the tool shelf and move the tray up, that should do it. I think my bench in the workshop is about hip height my OH built them right round the walls. I had to lower the one with the rolling mill and other equipment or I wouldn't be able to manage. Hard being a short a...

Thats why I can't face making a cut out, my bench has that sort of amount of stuff scattered all over it!

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Thats why I can't face making a cut out, my bench has that sort of amount of stuff scattered all over it!
    I won't show you the rest of it then!

New man cave fully operational! Left space for my new Benchmate system at Christmas, and still need to add a shelf / skin, though undecided as I like plenty of legroom.

Best thing I've made so far jewellery wise!

Nick