Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jewellers bench

I figured it was for the skin.
    Its annoying not having one, especially when working with tiny stones but Im not sure I want to sacrifice the space.
    Mind you if my OH ever builds the drawers I want then I might

Unpopular opinion: If you can possibly avoid it, don't use a skin.
    Far better to use a tray. Tools are put down stuff doesn't drop to the bottom of a deep well, just more efficient all over.
    Attachment 7052
    Here is mine.

That's a beast of a bench Hans, very nice indeed. Love the tool section on the right hand side.

Fair point about the skin setup and a tray system does sound better.

I've seen benches with a pre-shaped metal attachment with a small container at the bottom of the chute which collects anything dropped, and that replaces a skin. Looks quite nifty.

Nick

Nice bench Hans!
    Great tray too.
    I currently use a small plastic one to work over when setting stones but a bigger one would definitely be good.
    Love those drawers too.

I have one of the g-clamp style bench pins from cookies which I trap one end of a teatowel under, this can then be draped over my legs when I sit down. Not as good as a drawer/skin, but it catches the majority of bits.

Fab benches there Nick and Hans! Hope to do something similar when I move
    All the gear and no idea

Vos, I like the idea of a tea towel. I'm forever having to bend down to pick stuff up off the floor and it's not always easy to see, given my totally impractical cream carpet!! (Not to mention the danger to me head from the bench peg!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eventually I got tired of making a new bench each time I moved so I designed a mobile bench that fitted into a Combi and that was a complete workshop.
    My hippie days http://www.meevis.com/jewelry-workshop-bench.htm

And this is my current mature age one http://s475.photobucket.com/user/gem...Mobile%20Bench

Got wheels, will move

Done. Just got to fasten the back skirting on properly and put a drawer / tray in and it's complete.

Total cost £80 in the end but well worth it. Final size is 4ft wide x 3ft deep.

Now to get on to the important part.. Making jewellery!

Hans: ingenious idea making your bench portable and very cost effective too long term Id imagine. Genius!

Nick

Now that looks very efficient and it's going to work for sure.
    Good job!

Wow, that's some amazing handy work there! Wish I'd seen this before now. I've just bought a desk in but it needs modified to accommodate what I need & that's after the old units get pulled out to make space. You're very handy with a drill =D
    Sian Williamson