Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A suggestion on how to say.. thank you!

Default A suggestion on how to say.. thank you!

Had a thought today and thought I'd put it out there to see what you folks think.

Since starting this jewellery caper ( which incidentally I love and am hopelessly addicted to now! ) I've asked a lot of questions on this forum and received a great many answers, as well as receiving assistance in other matters from generously minded individuals ( James, Dennis, Peter ).

As a small gesture of 'thanks' to the wider forum, I'd like to offer assistance to anyone who needs high quality product shots of their jewellery items, in other words in a photography sense.

Not an expert by a long shot in the jewellery field ( although give me a couple more decades and I'll show improvement ) but I am quite competent when it comes to photography.

Basically my idea is that if you need good quality well lit, high resolution shots of your jewellery, for a website or whatever else, then post me your items along with a pre-paid return envelope / bag. Include a short description of how you'd like the items photographed and I'll do my best to accomodate. If a memory card is also posted to me then that would be great for multiple shots. For the odd one or two shots, then email would work I'm sure.

Not sure if this is a REALLY stupid suggestion or not, but whilst presently sat at work on nightshift and suffering slightly from sleep deprivation, it seems a fair gesture. It goes without saying that I dont want any payment for it either as I enjoy this kind of thing, and my gear is permanently setup.

Just thought that some folks might not possess the camera gear or knowledge, and that its a small avenue whereby I can say a very big thank you to everyone on here who constantly helps ME out each week!

Cheers,

Nick
    Last edited by Nick martin; 30-11-2014 at 10:31 PM.

Very good offer Nick thank you, but as I don't have a web site or sell anything, I'm more into photography for my own satisfaction. So I would like to ask a question here instead:

My camera is just a Canon EOS 1100D and I don't use the macro function as it is automatic and the available options with it are rather limited.
    Instead I mostly use AV (aperture priority) which is more versatile and allows manual focus for tricky pieces.

I use a table top studio, which comes with its own lighting and the camera is clamped to the table with a Manfrotto Magic Arm.

If I want to give my pictures more of an edge, can I do so with a similar 18-55mm lens but of a better quality, or should I go for a macro lens and which one?

Regards, Dennis.

Hello Dennis,

If I were you I would definately opt for a dedicated Macro lens for your DSLR. A more expensive variation on your 18-55mm kit lens wont produce any noticable improvement, and its minimum focus distance isnt ideal either.

I also use Canon cameras, and my macro lens is the 100mm 2.8L version. This is their top macro lens, although they also offer a 100mm macro lens in the non 'L' guise for about half price.

Until you use a macro lens, its hard to imagine the difference. Once you've done so though, you will be amazed at the difference one makes. Using a standard 18-55 lens means you either have to zoom in as far as possible ( which slightly degrades the picture sharpness ) or crop your final images to produce more of a closeup image.

Using a tripod ( as you do ) a remote control or timer function, turning off 'image stablisation' on the lens, and selecting 'mirror lockup' if your model supports it also lend to a sharper final image.

On a Canon theme, I also have a compact G15 camera. These dont quite produce as good an image as a DSLR of course, but their macro function is magnificent!

The G series cameras go way back, and a G10 that has a superb macro facility can be picked up second hand for next to nothing and is a cheaper option than maybe buying a dedicated macro lens.

Nick

Nooooo! don't use a macro lens Dennis ! you will see the tiniest fault then and have to start working under a scope!

Sorry, couldn't resist!
    I think thats a lovely idea Nick

Sounds a great idea. I constantly struggle with taking good pictures.
    Might take you up on it for that that 'special' piece.
    Thanks Nick.

That's a nice gesture Nick, I am a Nikon and Lumix Leica man myself since I started digital photos.

James

Default A suggestion on how to say.. thank you!

No problem Theresa and Id be happy to help.

As you know James, it's the lens money that makes sticking with one particular system the key choice isn't it, although I'm more than happy with Canon.

Nikon is of course the other top brand, and just because you're a Nikon user it doesn't make you a bad person

Nick
    Last edited by Nick martin; 01-12-2014 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Nooooo! don't use a macro lens Dennis ! you will see the tiniest fault then and have to start working under a scope!
    Well no Sarah. As I see it and the photographers here will jump on me if I am wrong, a macro lens will give you a 1:1 ratio, so that you see the object as it is in real life.

Only cropping the thing would magnify it and show the imperfections. Regards, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post
    Nikon is of course the other top brand, and just because you're a Nikon user it doesn't make you a bad person
    Oh good, I was worried there. There's all sorts of other reasons for that to be the case

Just spent most of my afternoon photographing pieces for the exhibition setup tomorrow.

Nikon D610 with 105mm f2.8 "Micro" as Nikon insist upon labelling their macro lenses...