Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A suggestion on how to say.. thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    I think I said something along those lines, working under magnification is generally to help make sure things are as they should be & eliminate guesswork when it comes to really small stuff.
    Most of which is lost at normal viewing, however..with all this digital technology & amplified image advertising, imperfections don`t help much!

It`s a case of getting as good as you can results without going overboard.

Often get asked to do extra neat work for things being photographed for advertising, but otherwise it can be a timesink for no-one but yourself.
    I thought it was you Chris but just wasn't sure
    I'm more concerned about a piece that has been in the gallery for a few months and has scratches to the naked eye, it definitely didn't go in like that, bloody nightmare leaving your work to the mercy of other people and their dusters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    I think I said something along those lines, working under magnification is generally to help make sure things are as they should be & eliminate guesswork when it comes to really small stuff.
    Most of which is lost at normal viewing, however..with all this digital technology & amplified image advertising, imperfections don`t help much!

It`s a case of getting as good as you can results without going overboard.

Often get asked to do extra neat work for things being photographed for advertising, but otherwise it can be a timesink for no-one but yourself.
    Completely agree Chris!!

Plus side for working under a microscope is that once your satisfied, you know things will look at least 3x better if not much more.
    Just takes a little while to re-learn what an insignificant scratch looks like.

I think the final finish on items can be subjective really.

If you're buying a piece of high-end jewellery that costs mega money, then it's reasonable to expect perfection.

However I've also seen very expensive pieces that show imperfections, along the lines of 'the marks of the maker' and some people like that also.

Although I'm a novice, I try to finish my pieces as well as possible and if they look fine to the naked eye, then I'm not fussed about any small imperfections if inspected under magnification.