Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A suggestion on how to say.. thank you!

Dennis

The 1:1 is based on the old days of film, on a digital camera its meaningless, its 1:1 on the sensor size.
    The computer takes that to whatever size you want so what you see on screen will show you every tiny flaw I promise

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    The 1:1 is based on the old days of film, on a digital camera its meaningless, its 1:1 on the sensor size.
    Not quite sure that I agree with that being meaningless. Given the sensor sizes in general use on DSLRs are APS-C and 35mm equivalent sizes, the 1:1 measurement is still relevant; if your lens can do that, then an object the same height as the sensor can use the full height of the sensor array. If it can only do half that, then you get the same image but only recorded on half the height in pixels.

At what level that becomes problematic in showing flaws will vary from kit to kit.

No offence, but Peters correct in what he's saying.

Imperfections just mean that we have to finish our pieces better

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post
    You'd hope so, given the number of years spent working on image processing sw...

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post

Imperfections just mean that we have to finish our pieces better

Nick
    or accept we are not perfectionists

I was pretty sure that someone said the other week that the perfection we seek under great magnification is pretty wasted unless our customers are looking at our work in the same way which is unlikely.. I'm pretty anal about a great finish but there is a limit to what the eye can see

Peter, it was my husband who said that and he used to be a pro photographer-more in the days of film than digital but a bit of both.
    Im sure you could have an interesting conversation about it but all I know is that when I take a photo with my macro lens on my Nikon it shows up stuff that I can't even see under the Leica scope- and I am certainly no photographer.
    So the question is does one really need to see in *quite* so much detail? given that once seen it can't be unseen LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I was pretty sure that someone said the other week that the perfection we seek under great magnification is pretty wasted unless our customers are looking at our work in the same way which is unlikely.. I'm pretty anal about a great finish but there is a limit to what the eye can see
    I think I said something along those lines, working under magnification is generally to help make sure things are as they should be & eliminate guesswork when it comes to really small stuff.
    Most of which is lost at normal viewing, however..with all this digital technology & amplified image advertising, imperfections don`t help much!

It`s a case of getting as good as you can results without going overboard.

Often get asked to do extra neat work for things being photographed for advertising, but otherwise it can be a timesink for no-one but yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    Most of which is lost at normal viewing, however..with all this digital technology & amplified image advertising, imperfections don`t help much!
    A huge warts-and-all picture of pieces is tempting, but ultimately overkill for general sales use. Take the shot at max resolution, crop, edit as needed *then shrink it*.
    There's a balance somewhere between the time spent tarting the thing up on the bench vs on the computer; as pointed out, the picture is probably the only time a piece will be seen at that magnification.

I dont have any form of magnification set up for making jewellery and some would say that sometimes the finish is a bit rough. I am not competing with the Aspreys of this world, all my customers have said how lovely they think the pieces are, some are friends as well and they would be honest if they thought it was "not quite finished", all have said they love my designs and I have quite a few return customers as I take my stuff to a local Craft Fair every month and people come back month after month, and as its a seaside town we also get a lot of coaches. Perhaps my prices reflect more what I am selling, I am getting better, but these things take time and patience, I do have a website but in three years have only sold one thing from it. Have a look and see what you think www.iscasilver.co.uk
    I would be interested in your comments.