Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Website Review Categories......

Default Website Review Categories......

..... are a good way of getting feedback on our pride and joy.

Usability, visuals, page loading speed - that gimmicky piece of Flash that you think is the 'bees knees' might drive somebody else up the wall, so who's going to tell you?

Family and friends don't always give accurate appraisals and you need to hear the good, bad and ugly opinions to change it for the better - anybody like to volunteer to be the first in the chair?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

www.mooncottagejewellery.co.uk
    Di x

First one in the chair - that's what I like to see

Nice, clean, easy on the eye site - no unnecessary Flash to slow the site down and irritate visitors, and straightforward to navigate.

Search engine wise (google in particular) I would add more text to the home page and add a sitemap to improve spiderability (if there is such a word!)

In the necklaces category I would lay the images across the page to reduce whitespace and decrease the need to scroll down and in the contact me section I would include full details of your address to instill more confidence that you are a reputable trader. Partiall addresses imply that you have got something to hide and don't want to be found in case there is a problem.

In the links category I would definitely add a link to GETi in exchange for one from their world famous jewellers directory 'The Diamond Yacht Club'.

All in all though

Well i know some of you have checked out my website since i posted my address cos i checked the counter before i did (sneaky i no but hey) and i have had 50 hits since then and as its not on google yet so one can only assume...... so go on tell how it is lol

Geti - I've take your advice re the necklace page and it does look much better, thanks
    Di x

oh and i am after some good metatags pls if you have any suggestions they would be more than welcome.

Hey Jo, would you like to put your site link in your signature so I can take a look at it?

I'd also be interested to hear what you think about mine though I can't do much about changing it as my web designers have to do that.

Jo's site - trinkets and tins.

OK - here we go! Also everybody else don't be afraid to pipe in if you think I'm talking rubbish.

Firstly, can I just say that I tend to look at a website from a search engine point of view and not a design angle. Nobody really cares how good or bad your site looks once the initial hook is in, but on the other hand, you've only got 8 seconds to get them to stay on your site once they find you, so you have to have something on your site that grabs attention - nudity usually works (but not recommended

Good choice of colour for the main background but the product background could do with lightening up a little if you are using black text - Black text on a white background is the ultimate best choice for ease of readability. Text is 30 times harder to read on a computer screen than in print so you need to make it easy for them to make them want to carry on reading.

Change the category heading 'Jewellery' to 'Charm Bracelets'. Charm bracelets are the big thing at the moment so optimising for that search term would be a good idea ('Silver Charm Bracelets' may bring more traffic though)

Same as on previous website with regard to contact details. Not having a definite address and landline phone number is a definite no-no. Visitors will not trust you and ultimately buy from you if they don't know where you are (PO Box numbers are also bad).

You don't have any content in your keywords metatag, which isn't a bad thing with regard to google because she doesn't take any notice of them and 67% of searches are done through her anyway. Other search engines still use metatags so you may pick up traffic from them by adding keywords to your tag.

Loads more text needed - 750 words would be ideal for google on the homepage, but you have to write for people not google, so make sure it makes sense and don't stuff loads of the same keywords in.

An information category would be good - each section of information should be optimised for different key phrases.

Change 'Welcome to our Website' to something that includes your main keywords - this first sentence is an important position and the current wording is wasting its usefulness.

You should be able to add 'Alt img' tags to your images as well that include keywords - I don't know the software to tell you how to do it though.

Betcha wish you'd never asked now don't you?
    Last edited by geti-titanium; 01-09-2009 at 10:16 PM.