Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Website Review Categories......

OMG! Well I did ask!

Whilst I'd like to maintain the illusion about being the girl on my site, unfortunately I'm a slightly older version, as that's my lovely daughter, Verity. At least I've got something right.

I'd better get onto my designers and see what can be done. Thanks for looking at it.

Well Carole - all I can say is you make stunning jewellery and stunning children!!

Thanks Barbara.

I think I already knew that my site had problems but was in denial as it cost me so much. I do think it's pretty though and as a designer, I'm happy with the look and feel. I think (hope!) it's fairly user friendly. I couldn't afford to have it re-done, so will just have to see if it could be tweaked.

My humble two penny-worth on your site Geti is that it looks a bit clinical and lacks colour. I expect it would appeal to men and it certainly looks professional but I didn't feel I wanted to linger very long as it's not that "pretty". A compromise between search engine optimisation and attractiveness would be good as once you've got them there, you need to be able to keep them.

I disagree that nobody cares what your website looks like once the hook is in, I would!
    Your disagreeing with me and to a certain degree at the same time we agree.

My quote:

you've only got 8 seconds to get them to stay on your site once they find you, so you have to have something on your site that grabs attention
    Your quote:

If you have a terrible looking site then you're never going to get that hook in the first place!
    Once you have them hooked and staying on your website they become blind to the fancy design - alot like banner advertising - nobody clicks on banners because we are so bombarded with them that we don't see them any more (terrible waste of money they are, I fell for that in my early days!)

Attention should always be paid to good photography of the product, information and guiding the visitor around your site to get them to go where you want them to go and allowing them to find what they are looking for.

I also meant to say that I like Moon Cottage and Trinkets and Tins sites, which are visually appealing and not too crowded with information on the front page.
    Too much text just puts me off and sends me somewhere else.

Too much text just puts me off and sends me somewhere else.
    Text is a necessary evil - no text = no visitors (unless you have a brand that is automatically recognised and visitors search you out anyway, or lots of quality links)

Plus - text shouldn't put you off a site because it would probably be the text that got you there in the first place, and you don't have to read it all anyway.

Maybe it's a girl thing. Is there any way a compromise can be reached? Is it possible to have loads of text but keep it hidden? You can tell I'm good with technology, can't you!

Is it possible to have loads of text but keep it hidden?
    You can't hide text from google - it will be seen as trying to fool the search engines and, at worst, get your site blacklisted and removed from searches, at best, get you in a position where nobody will ever find you.

You could set up an information section and fill it with, well..... information really. This will be picked up by google which will send visitors to the text and then you will need to direct them to where you want them to go - on to the products and the checkout hopefully. A normal response rate of visitors to your site contacting you or ordering is about 1% - 1 visitor /100 will ask for more information or buy anything - quite sad really

it's not that "pretty". A compromise between search engine optimisation and attractiveness would be good as once you've got them there, you need to be able to keep them.
    I agree - I struggle to make sites that are visually appealing - mine is hopefully functional and search engine friendly. You hit the nail on the head about finding a compromise between the two. The geti site is packed full of information and my ecommerce site is just about the products - neither will win any design awards but I'll get it right one day

You could set up an information section and fill it with, well..... information really.
    Geti, this is what I was planning to do - I had loads of text for my home page but then thought, rightly or wrongly, that too much text there would put visitors to the site off. Would this text be just as google-friendly on an about me page?
    Di x