Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Website Review Categories......

deffinatlely not there are some really good points in there and stuff i was going to change but you have pinpointed most of them, you have a great site (bit busy though and deffinatley a blokes page) and probably not anything i will be ever able to get my hands on thanks for taking the time

Hi Carole,

No good news on your site I'm afraid.

Visually it's appealing if a little bit squished up in the centre of the screen. Having to scroll down a page to see what else there is isn't a major headache these days with a wheel on your mouse. Colours are nice and if the girl at the front is you then I think you should dump your boyfriend and go out with me instead. Only kidding - you're in Cornwall I'm in Birmingham - it'd never work (You will tell your boyfriend I was only joking won't you?!!!!!!)

On to serious stuff now and the real bad news.

The outdated way your site is constructed is ensuring that it will stand absolutely no chance of ever being picked up by google and I would bet 50p that the amount of traffic you get is negligable.

Sounds a bit harsh doesn't it?

Google loves text - she revels in it. If a search term is on your site she will hunt it down and devour it. Now try a little experiment by going to your website and hold the 'Control' button and 'A' together.

This will highlight all the searchable text on your webpage and that is all that google will see. You do have text on your site but it's hidden in those little framey, flashy panel things and can't be read.

Unfortunately, and I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you need a whole new website.

I hope I haven't upset you too much and if you are willing to travel I can meet you half way - only joking again!! Just tell your boyfriend!!!

Back to the visuals again though - search engines aside - I would give it about a 6/10 'cos the girl on the front is a cracker and the products are good.

PS - I'm going to get into trouble for this one I can feel it in my water.

One wonders if you are helping us cos we are Gals or are you just a really helpful guy

Aw shucks - you caught me out!

Actually, I like looking at websites and analysing them - I'm not claiming to be right though or that I know what I'm talking about.

I used to be in the same position when I started out - the frustration I felt at not seeing any traffic coming to my sight was soul destroying and then the more you learn the higher it gets until you hit the magic first page.

Carole's worrying me at the moment - awfully quiet out there - better not switch the satnav on just yet

Starting out ..........this is my second time around when i first started out there was no such thing as google but i am not a high flyer with lost of exciting tools but i do have a nice bench, just trying to make some money before oh sends me out to get a proper job

so if i head into the quarter next week to get some Pickle where are you Getti
    Last edited by Emerald; 01-09-2009 at 11:02 PM.

If you've ever been to Julie's Diamonds by The Jewellers Arms Pub you've been standing outside my empire as well - I'm in the 'Cow Shed' at the top of the stairs at 44 Hockley Street - coffee machine is always on, only £1 a cup as long as you buy something else !

The Jewellers Arm Pub, The Jewellers Arm Pub have a few storys from The Jewellers Arms Pub but i ant going to tell yea, i was a student in the School of Jewellery and had a workshop and shop in the quarter beneath the big peg many moons ago, cant afford the price of titanium on a housewifes budget.

Quote Originally Posted by geti-titanium View Post
    Firstly, can I just say that I tend to look at a website from a search engine point of view and not a design angle. Nobody really cares how good or bad your site looks once the initial hook is in, but on the other hand, you've only got 8 seconds to get them to stay on your site once they find you, so you have to have something on your site that grabs attention - nudity usually works (but not recommended
    Piping in!!

I disagree that nobody cares what your website looks like once the hook is in, I would! To me it's the equivalent of selling your jewellery in a flash boutique store vs showing someone what you have in the inside of your trench coat on a street corner (and in that instance I still mean jewellery ). A bad website can look shonky, imply bad quality products, making them look cheaper, and generally putting the customer off buying anything. If you have a terrible looking site then you're never going to get that hook in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by geti-titanium View Post
    Hi Carole,

No good news on your site I'm afraid.

Visually it's appealing if a little bit squished up in the centre of the screen. Having to scroll down a page to see what else there is isn't a major headache these days with a wheel on your mouse. Colours are nice and if the girl at the front is you then I think you should dump your boyfriend and go out with me instead. Only kidding - you're in Cornwall I'm in Birmingham - it'd never work (You will tell your boyfriend I was only joking won't you?!!!!!!)

On to serious stuff now and the real bad news.

The outdated way your site is constructed is ensuring that it will stand absolutely no chance of ever being picked up by google and I would bet 50p that the amount of traffic you get is negligable.

Sounds a bit harsh doesn't it?

Google loves text - she revels in it. If a search term is on your site she will hunt it down and devour it. Now try a little experiment by going to your website and hold the 'Control' button and 'A' together.

This will highlight all the searchable text on your webpage and that is all that google will see. You do have text on your site but it's hidden in those little framey, flashy panel things and can't be read.

Unfortunately, and I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you need a whole new website.

I hope I haven't upset you too much and if you are willing to travel I can meet you half way - only joking again!! Just tell your boyfriend!!!

Back to the visuals again though - search engines aside - I would give it about a 6/10 'cos the girl on the front is a cracker and the products are good.

PS - I'm going to get into trouble for this one I can feel it in my water.
    I'd also disagree with a lot of this - design wise it's a pretty great site - attractive, clean and easy to navigate. I think it's well suited to the subject matter and looks professional, on first impressions, I'd take this site seriously IYSWIM!

Splash screens are generally percieved as an annoying no no, customers generally don't like them, but jours is done pretty well, doesn't hang around long so has little chance of annoying anyone!

I do agree with the fact that since your site is written entirely in flash it means that the content of your site cant be searched by engines or spiders. I don't really understand why you would build a site like that entirely from flash, it doesn;t really provide any benefits and theres nothing I can see that your site does that isn't easily acheivable without flash - it might be a question to pose to your web designer!

Deffinatley agent 44 if a website is not easy to use or appealing to the eye then i along with most people will click the x button pretty sharpish Caroles Website is both and i am in the hope that mine is to although i know i have work to do