Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality Sterling silver money clips

South West France, near a little village called Moncrabeau

Default Quality Sterling silver money clips

Hi folks,
    I'm looking for 13 sterling silver blank money clips that I can personalise. They need to have a decent weight and thickness to them unlike the standard 20 gauge ones. Anyone out there who can recommend a supplier for me? Many thanks

I don't know a supplier and I've never made one myself, but I imagine they'd be very easy to make.

Have you tried someone like Ari D Norman, or Douglas Pell silverware, or Harrison Bros & Howson? Sounds like their sort of product?

Thankyou for replies. I was going to solder some finished metal clay fine silver to personalise them. I have had mixed feedback as to losing the spring after soldering. Would heat treating in a kiln and tumbling not regain the spring in the clip? Anyone had any experience with soldering onto money clips? Thanks

As Caroli said they look very easy to make and probably possible to do the soldering before you do the forming and folding
    http://www.aspinaloflondon.com/produ...ver-money-clip

Would you be able to solder a small post on the clip before you bend it and then rivet your clay piece onto that? You'd need something to insert into the clip to support it while you rivet.

Oddly, this isn't one where I'd say laser weld it. The sintered nature of PMC means that once you get through the outer skin of the stuff, you need to melt back quite a bit to get a decent weld (and it needs reblacking frequently too).

I thought GRS did them, but they only seem to carry stainless ones.

Had thought of riveting but would much rather solder if I can. I guess I'll have to test one out and see what effects soldering has on the spring!

I would suggest that you cut a length of silver for the clip, then solder on your PMC and finally bend the silver money clip after soldering and this should add some spring to the clip.
    I have not made silver money clips, but here is one of my standard gold ones as an example.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	161 GE5 money clips 18,7,07.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	6988
    James

It rather depends on your design, but I don't think you can afford to loose any of the hardness by soldering it unless it is quite thick, as in James' example.

'Hardening by tumbling' is just wishful thinking. You can achieve some hardening by holding it at about 280°C for two hours in a kiln, or even a domestic oven, but the result will also make it brittle in use.

Riveting is an easy option, because you can just solder two tubes onto your fired clay, pass them through holes in your clip and spread them with a suitable tapered punch on the reverse. Dennis.