Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GRS Benchmate 'setters package'

Default GRS Benchmate 'setters package'

A family member is kindly buying me a GRS Benchmate system for Christmas this year ( setters package ) and I can't wait to use it!

I'm primarily going to use it for setting stones in rings, texturing them, etc. are there any other obvious uses that you folks use this system for other than manipulating rings?

Cheers,

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ha ha, will do! Lots of YouTube videos on it, mainly ring setting ones.

Primarily used for stone setting and working on rings as allows more control and hands free operation.

Nick

The Benchmate system is very versatile and invaluable for setting of all kinds, not just rings. It can of course be used for many other jewelry tasks as well, since what it is essentially is a glorified swivel vice and a whole range of accessories is available for exploiting its potential.
    When you move on to a microscope to do all your pavé work on platinum etc. there's a different GRS holding system (the positioning vice) that will help you to keep your work centred at high magnifications.
    Mark.

I'm not sure if this is included in the setters package since I bought mine used and it was with the bundle, but I use this for setting flat objects. Its covered in InstaMorph right now, but it looks like a "T". The picture is the back of it (the part that gets put into the benchmate's jaws).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0151.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	6994
    - Emily

Thats included in the setters package emily, thanks.

I now realise what its used for, bit like the thermoloc material isnt it?

Nick

Very simliar, although Instmorph you have to heat up in water. I'm not sure if thats the way you heat up thermo loc. You can use your torch to heat up instamorph, but you have to be careful because it can start to sort of smolder/burn if you get the flame too close. I do that when I'm lazy and don't want to travel up stairs to the microwave...

I had some Instamorph hanging around from another project before I started making jewelery, so thats all I've ever used.
    - Emily

Incidentally, Nick, don't forget you can specify whether your setters package comes with a right-handed or left-handed side plate; this might be useful to know if you are left-handed because if you don't specify you'll end up with the default right-handed plate. Also, note that Walsh's have a very good offer on on the setters package at the moment.

Personally, I'd say that a) a right-hander should have the plate on the LHS supporting the off hand, as the dominant hand won't be resting and b) the damn thing gets in the way regardless and should be removed!

On other uses - the primary part of the Benchmate is effectively an overbuilt ring clamp - very handy for much more than just rings, it can be used to hold pieces for filing, sawing etc. as well.
    Remember the inside ring clamp has 2 ends so you can work on the side of a ring as well (take the brass pin out, flip it over and put the brass pin back in the now correct position).
    You wouldn't believe how much lemel ends up inside the ring clamp - strip it down and clean it out periodically.

As for the positioning vice - you can use a Benchmate under a scope, but you'll keep rotating work out of view, which is a pain. I use a couple of GRS microblocks with different height stands that I printed; that way I don't need to keep rearranging the scope, even when I have to tip work on its side for access.