Thread: Flush setting - Clean-up question

Default Flush setting - Clean-up question

Good evening all,

Currently working on a ring where I'm flush setting multiple stones ( Rubies & Sapphires ).

I chose these specific stones for their colours and because of their hardness.

Question I have, is how does everyone go about cleaning up the outside of the metal once the stones have been set?

At present I cut the seat, work through my buff sticks and do a polish. However.. if I make a minor slip and gently scratch the surrounding surface, will using various grades of buff stick to polish out the scratch do any damage to hard stones such as these?

Would I be best off using a stiff bristle brush and Tripoli instead?

Cheers,

Nick
    Last edited by Nick martin; 25-11-2014 at 09:39 PM.

Silicon carbide and corundum both have roughly the same hardness, so it's possible to scratch the stone with the buff stick. Cover the stone with a fingernail (easiest if you use your own) if you're going to do that.

Alternatively, I use silicone rubber wheels that I've tested to see that they don't touch softer stones.

I like the rubber wheel tip Peter, Hadnt thought of that one.

Cheers as always,

Nick

The best defence is to make no marks at all. I was taught by a self taught setter, who had been a clock maker, so he was untraditional.

At the beginning of the course we all made our own setting tool from 5.0mm round steel stock. The end of the rod was beaten flat and then filed and polished.

You will see from the flat on the handle, that I then went on to use it upside down, not as intended. By using this hefty pusher with very short strokes, no visible damage is done even to textures.

Lastly bright ring is formed around the stone with a tiny burnisher made from a burr with the head broken off and the end rounded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Setting Tool.jpg   Burnisher for Flush Set Stones.jpg   Ring With Flush Set Stones.jpg