Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips on using chenier cutter 999 597?

Default Tips on using chenier cutter 999 597?

I've had one of these a while now, and I've still not got to grips with the technique - how do you cut tubing *straight* with it? If I cut tubing on a bench pin, I can cut more accurately square than I can when it is clamped in this beast.

Any suggestions?

Wish I could help Peter, and I'd love to know if it's worth having. I use a plumbers pipe cutter (under a fiver) for cutting my tube, and it works beautifully!

I've a few of those too... Mine tend to crimp the cut in, and I'm not sure that my mini tubing cutter will go as low as 4-5mm.

I have a couple of little ones that cut 4 and 5mm tubing (with at least a .5mm wall) like butter. The blades do wear out, but at the price they are, I see them as pretty much disposable! The slightly more expensive one (monument brand, and possibly as much as £8) doesn't bevel the edges as much as the really cheap version.

What sort of lead time can we expect on an official response then?

More than 48 hours, clearly.

Maybe the experts are on holiday?

In which case, that needs to be communicated...

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I've had one of these a while now, and I've still not got to grips with the technique - how do you cut tubing *straight* with it? If I cut tubing on a bench pin, I can cut more accurately square than I can when it is clamped in this beast.

Any suggestions?
    Hi, we've had our tame jeweller pull a cutter out of stock and use it. At the risk of stating the obvious, either holding the handle in the hand or in a vice, the tube sat in the V, the swing arm holds it down with your thumb on tob to keep it in place and the saw sits in the groove to cut the tube. We've just completed several accurate cuts. Where are you experiencing a problem and see if we can offer any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Taylor View Post
    Hi, we've had our tame jeweller pull a cutter out of stock and use it. At the risk of stating the obvious, either holding the handle in the hand or in a vice, the tube sat in the V, the swing arm holds it down with your thumb on tob to keep it in place and the saw sits in the groove to cut the tube. We've just completed several accurate cuts. Where are you experiencing a problem and see if we can offer any advice?
    Hi Rob - thank you for getting back to me.

I tend to wedge it against a bench pin in use, but I'm finding the blade wanders within the guide slot (probably because I've not got the visual feedback I'd have if I were piercing normally) which results in tube lengths that need filing straight. I thought of sawing with the blade against one or other side of the slot, but I'm concerned at it wearing the slot - I haven't tested the hardness of the guide yet.