Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A barrel polishing question

Default A barrel polishing question

Hello
    I've purchased a Cooksons barrel polisher and am generally pleased with the results, I'm only making smallish pieces so far. My question is, when I use it to polish a pendant for example that has a piece sweat soldered on top (a small heart on top of a larger heart) I get a "shadow" around the soldered heart. I'm guessing it might be because the shot doesn't reach the silver closest to the soldered smaller heart but I don't really know. I don't have a buffing machine. Have any of you experts any thoughts on this and why it's happening? How can I remove the shadow without unsoldering the piece and starting again?
    Thank you.

Could be firestain. Argos do a really cheap dremel knock off with a flexishaft to start you off.
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

You're probably right in that the shot won't reach the area close to the raised heart. The way forward is to use radial discs to render that part satisfactory first and then use the tumbler to blend it in.

This set gives a small selection at a good price. http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...rcode-999-1967
    Alternatively you could try tumbling for twice the time, because if you have mixed shot it might eventually reach the crevices. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 22-11-2014 at 06:47 PM.

Goodness - those sets have gone up in price! I might go back to buying them individually again now.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I might go back to buying them individually again now.
    Yes if you already have the mandrels, George. Problem is I never seem to have enough and they're £2.25 each on Cooksons. Anyone seen them cheaper?

Oh and on top of that they are no longer magnetic, so won't fit onto my Cookson magnetic burr stand.

Look at dental suppliers Dennis & George, I buy them by the 4 dozen.
    Poor old Les

Many thanks for that, I'll take a look.
    Catherine

Many thanks Dennis, appreciate you advice again.
    Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by art925 View Post
    Look at dental suppliers Dennis & George, I buy them by the 4 dozen.
    I've been searching but I must be doing something wrong as I can't find a UK dental supplier that stocks them. Do they call them something different? I couldn't live without my radials now but I go through them quickly. They really are expensive from cookies & when I last looked certain grades were only available on the mandrel. When I first started using them the 3 grade kit was only £6.95 + vat
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

I think Les will have to give us a link, and the name used for them by the suppliers.

However, if you are polishing head dresses Tasha, do consider a wet and soapy jewellers brass brush. It's cheap and effective. Much of my stuff is done like that. Dennis.