Thread: Silver Casting info anyone advise me?

Default Silver Casting info anyone advise me?

Hi there Clever Folks ',;~}~

I'm after getting into a bit of basic investment casting - got torch and scrap silver, scorifiers and whips for said are on the way.

What I haven't got/won't have is a burnout kiln - best I'll have is about 200C oven, and/or the torch itself, or money to buy any but the most cheap of supplies.

So firstly what I'm unclear about - can I make/buy a shell material that doesn't require a high temp. burnout to make an effective and clean mould? I have plaster of paris, and bentonite (cat litter) here can they be of any use?

Secondly I haven't a clue about the waxes - I won't be carving it, just pouring into a mould - will almost any wax accomplish what I need, and either melt or burn out of the mould with just the large flame torch heat, or will I have to wait until I can afford some of the right wax(es)?

As always thanks very much in advance for any help - always much appreciated!

That's all I can think of to ask now until I actually crack on with this but no doubt things will make themselves apparent.

Cheers folks ',;~}~

Shaun.

I can't answer your questions Shaun but you could possibly achieve what you wanted with PMC?
    I have a friend who makes her moulds in plaster of paris then presses the PMC into them before firing it.
    Just an idea, looking forward to reading answers from those that know

Also look at the Delft Clay system, Which sidesteps the need for investment, kiln and casting machine. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I can't answer your questions Shaun but you could possibly achieve what you wanted with PMC?
    I have a friend who makes her moulds in plaster of paris then presses the PMC into them before firing it.
    Just an idea, looking forward to reading answers from those that know

Hiya Sarah - thanks for the suggestion but I'm 'one of those' types that really don't get on with the idea of PMC personally - I love the whole process of manipulating the metal - cutting, hammering, joining, melting and casting etc. and that's largely what I'm in it for - I feel PMC would just make it too easy for me, and then what would I have to do to keep me out of trouble? ',;~}~

Will have to take a look at what Dennis suggested now - thanks Dennis off to look it up.

Cheers again folks,

Shaun.

I know how you feel Shaun, I tried it once and wasn't keen although I have seen some lovely results with it.
    I use the Delft system myself because there is just too much investment involved in setting up for lost wax.
    Mostly I can get the results I want with Delft, it just requires a bit more clean up/carving afterwards.
    But you certainly can't do some of the more intricate stuff that lost wax can do so it depends really on what you want to create.

without a kiln I would probably go for Delft of even cuttle fish casting and keep a look out for a cheaper small second hand kiln

Thanks for the replies folks - looks like I am just going to have to improvise and experiment, and see how far I get ',;~}~

Cheers all!

Shaun.

Hi Shaun

I've just set up a little delft clay casting set, and I have to say it's really good. I just have (MAPP) torch, scorifier and rings (plus clay of course!). It's a brilliant way for casting small items as long as you don't want undercuts. I'm still getting to grips with mine, so no expert, but if you're wanting to cast without a kiln I'd say it's the way to go.

Hope this helps

Vos
    All the gear and no idea