Thread: Cutting Metal

Default Cutting Metal

What is the best way to cut a metal?like making a bangle?Thank you.

There are lots of ways to cut metal in a straight line, such as piercing with a saw, cutting with shears, slicing with a guillotine or bench shears.

For some applications, I've been known to use hot chisels, cold chisels, cutting torch, bandsaw, plasma cutter or jigsaw... Not always all at the same time though.

It's a piercing saw and files for me when cutting metal shapes for jobs.

James

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    For some applications, I've been known to use hot chisels, cold chisels, cutting torch, bandsaw, plasma cutter or jigsaw... Not always all at the same time though.
    still have to try a chisel on the inner wadding for my boxes. I have found a nice clean one - will have a go tomorrow

mostly, getting back to the topic, I have had the best success with saw frame and the right sized blades (except lately with some that seem to go blunt very quickly)

Thanks guys.I'm planning to buy guillotine but bloody expensive,can't afford at the moment.I'm using saw but still swerving lol.I try piercing it.

Professionals who have done this all their working lives, just get on with it, no worries.

If you are a beginner struggling to cut a straight line:

1. Make sure that the blade size is suitable for the thickness of metal you are cutting, (say a 2/0 for 0.8-1.mm thick metal)
    2. Experiment with the tension, so that there is a clear highish note , but not a twang when you pluck it.
    3. Treat the blade as fragile and be gentle with it.
    4. Use a lubricant such as candle grease as advised by James Miller, on the back of the blade, not the teeth.
    5. And now the sacrilegious part: contrary to all teaching, lean the blade slightly forward and your cut will be much straighter.

If you want to speed up, do one downward stroke leaning forward and the next one upright. This works well on resistant and hard metals.

Dennis.

Oh yes, I forgot aviation shears and tinsnips.

Facetious comments aside, practice more with the saw. It's a core tool - with patience you can cut pretty much anything with it; precious metals, copper alloys, Ti, steels (unhardened anyway), wood, laminates (G10/FR4, Micarta etc.)... Consumables are cheap too.

Thanks guys great tips.

Grab yourself some copper sheet, draw out some designs & just practice with your jewellers saw. Keep a very loose hand on the saw handle, almost just cupping it, relax your arm (there is a tendency for your brain to want to grip it tight but you have to do the exact opposite) & let the blade do the work. When you start to automatically fall into that sweet spot of relaxation & rhythm it feels so enjoyable. Don't give up you will soon learn to adore piercing.
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED