Thread: Yahq

Default Yahq

Yet another hallmarking question. Steve perhaps?
    If I want to describe something (eg a 4 gram ring) for sale as sterling silver and keum boo (23/24)ct gold, does it need a mixed metal hallmark. I'm guessing if I want to describe it as being part gold, even if it is 'only' a superficial layer, then the answer is yes.
    If I don't qualify in the description that keum boo is gold, would that negate the need for a hallmark.

I sent quite a few keum boo pieces off for assay recently and Edinburgh said they didn't need marked as mixed metals because it's just an overlay. Having said that it might depend on how thick a layer of gold you put on, I did 3 layers on a pendant to get the effect I wanted and I suspect it may have been marked differently. To be honest I never check as I trust them to do the job
    I do describe it as silver and 23ct gold for selling purposes though

We would look on this as "rolled gold" or similar, so you would get a full silver hallmark only (assuming it's over 7.78g or by request if it's underweight) but you would not get a gold mark.

I can't imagine there would ever be more than 1 gramme of gold in a Keum boo item anyway?

Yup, all mine is only done as silver.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I can't imagine there would ever be more than 1 gramme of gold in a Keum boo item anyway?
    It's the weight of the piece, not the gold, when it comes to mixed metal - I think.
    Thanks for all the replies, only just caught up with this thread.

For mixed metal marking it is the weight of the total of the metal in the piece, not the individual metals within the piece. Of course such things as gold plated and rolled gold items do not qualify for mixed metal marking!