Thread: Balled wire ends..Wrinkly not ripe

Default Balled wire ends..Wrinkly not ripe

Good morning!
    A seemingly very simple technique is proving to be a puzzle for me. Balling up the ends of wire. I love the texture and possibilities of these shapes! The balls resemble a half deflated balloon rather than a ripe berry. I have looked it up and tried less heat, moving slowly or quickly out of the flame. Perhaps I am trying to make the ball too big? Using 1mm wire and these balls are 2.5mm across but wrinkly. I appreciate any advice, thanks.
    Sam

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Best way to get a good shape with that size of wire is to use fine silver only. Copper in the sterling makes it pit and have a prune look.

The bigger you go with making a ball with the sterling wire, the more obvious the prune effect, unless you can get the flame really hot and make sure it is coated well in a flux.

Thank you. I started off using fine silver but although nice and shiny, I was after a stronger component.. These are the perameters in the use of silver that I am learning everyday! Is there a maximum limit of diameter wire that will ball up nicely?

Argentium balls perfectly - right up to very large gauges (2mm and above). Reflections is fine up to about 1mm, but can be a bit lopsided if you're not very careful. Sterling will pit at pretty much any size. I avoid using fine silver because I dont' find it strong enough, and the balls can detach too easily if the pin is tugged.

Thanks George, I haven't used Argentium silver yet, good excuse for some experimenting!!

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Argentium balls perfectly - right up to very large gauges (2mm and above). ... I avoid using fine silver because I dont' find it strong enough, and the balls can detach too easily if the pin is tugged.
    I can't work with argentium, I must over do something as the balls fall right off!

I don't have that problem and never have with fine silver, but I don't go lower than 1mm.

It pays to search thru old threads when you have a question This old post answered my problem of wrinkly balls ( that'll raise a few eyebrows )

Quote Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
    It pays to search thru old threads when you have a question This old post answered my problem of wrinkly balls ( that'll raise a few eyebrows )
    Not half as much as someone actually using the search function - thank you!