Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bangle sizes

Default Bangle sizes

I am starting to make some norse style bangle rings and arm rings and am struggling as to what is the standard sizes for these items. so that people (male and female) can get them over their hand. I have very big hands so can't use mine to scale.

What I am really after is the diameter required. Also average sizes for the upper arm. (I will try and post pics as soon as I can get photos taken)

Cheers
    S

I am sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction here
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Default re

These are standard size and will fit wrist size 6" to 6 3/4". They have an inner diameter of 2 1/2". This is the average size you would find in a department or accessory store.

I think it is really hard to get a 'size' for these things...I asked a similar question about ring sizes a few weeks ago and although I got a range to aim at there are at least as many people outside that range as in it!! And about 10 times as many people viewed the thread as posted a reply on it!!

How about contacting re-enactment groups through Google and see who makes their jewellery and ask what size armband they would make...you never know - you might get your own market and commissions that way!!

I have also wondered if it is possible to get a poll type of thing set up on this forum - so all the people that just view your question but don't add a reply might be tempted to tick a box...you know...Answer this poll. "What best describes your upper arm size 20cm 25cm 30cm" - and give them a box to tick?? I don't know if it could be done...but I think a lot of questions could be quickly and anonymously answered if there was this sort of facility....any takers on that one??? Computer boffins??....Cookson Admin bods??

And for the record - I would need a 24cm to go over my hand and a 30cm to sit comfortably mid upper arm...yes - the smithy muscles again!! Nothing delicate about me!!

Thank you all. Gives me something to start to work to. Am due to pitch a new range to our Museum in October so wanted to get these right before then

You could try some dark age re-enactors, they might be able to advise you best or Regia Anglorum: http://www.regia.org/

I think most of their age torques were constructed by naalbinding or simple brass rings though

You could contact Regia Anglorum: http://www.regia.org/ they might be able to help you somewhat as they do have their own bronze-smith.

For the 45th time of trying to post this message:

You could try Regia Anglorum: http://www.regia.org/

Old Viking torques tend to be made with naalbinding or a simple brass / bronze band but hopefully the people at RA will be able to give you some help they're great people

You could try Regia Anglorum: www (dot) regia (dot) org (it won't let me post the hyperlinked link for some reason

Old Viking torques tend to be made with naalbinding (knited wire) or a simple brass / bronze band but hopefully the people at RA will be able to give you some help they're great people

But all I get is the moderator thing, I can't even post a new thread!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bijou Dragon View Post
    You could try Regia Anglorum: www (dot) regia (dot) org (it won't let me post the hyperlinked link for some reason

Old Viking torques tend to be made with naalbinding (knited wire) or a simple brass / bronze band but hopefully the people at RA will be able to give you some help they're great people

But all I get is the moderator thing, I can't even post a new thread!
    Hi thanks for the info. I have been making the link.

I have been in touch with the vikings and have a seperate project ubderway with them. I have been making Norse jewellery for the past 7 years (helps being based in the UK part of Scandinavia (Shetland)) and spend my summers doing living history at one of our archeology sites. This give me a chance to play and expirement (?sp) and get paid as well. Anyway I'll try and get some pics posted

Thanks to all again
    S