Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matisse Surreal.

Default Matisse Surreal.

Following the success of the Matisse exhibition at Tate Modern, our project for this term was to make a piece of jewellery with a design inspired by the collages.

Another strand was to continue with the colouring of metals. To kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, I made a brass shell with fronds in homage to Matisse and coloured the back by patination with salt, vinegar and ammonia, adding sawdust for texture.

I decided on a brooch with the main feature a fish, well just the bones, its head, tail and fins still on, confronting a barbed steel hook and a copper worm. To detract from the gloom and doom it has a sparkling pink eye.

Goodness knows what narrative I had in mind: maybe the cruelty of fishing?

The brass has been sprayed with lacquer from a can and the silver parts cold connected. I have called it Matisse Surreal.

Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ms 1 The Parts.jpg   Ms 2 Reverse Of Fish.jpg   Ms 3 The Brooch.jpg   Ms4 Rverse.jpg  

Dennis - that's just fabulous!

Beautiful Dennis

Dennis - that is lovely - made me smile too which is always a bonus on a Monday morning. As usual, I'm going to ask what size it is, although as it's against a postcard, it looks quite small. Also, is the brooch pin itself silver - i.e. the bit that goes through the cloth? I think I've read before that silver is quite soft for pins and it's okay to use steel instead - not sure whether it was a question on a hallmarking thread.

Susie

That's gorgeous Dennis. I especially like the different colour of the metals.
    Jules

Fabulous Dennis. Your work is amazing.

Dennis, simply stunning. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you all for liking my project broach. It's just for a bit of fun really-I doubt whether anyone will want to wear a fishbone.
    Susie, the size is 48mm x 35mm x 8mm thick.

About eighteen years ago I bought a reel of stainless steel wire and have used it for pins ever since, and in this case for the hook too. It is accepted on hallmarked items, and after a bit of teasing with fingers to straighten it, makes very reliable pins. This is nominal 0.8 wire, but my callipers say 7.2. Dennis.

Love this Dennis! Especially the fronds for some reason!

When you say "adding sawdust for texture" how does that work? Is it attached to the piece for texture or do you mean sprinkled on the patina in the same way sprinkling salt on drying watercolour paint gives visual texture?
    - Emily