Thread: Rolling Mill Question

Default Rolling Mill Question

Hi guys, I've just recently purchased a used rolling mill - Durston - and it could use a little TLC. Most importantly the rollers are in good condition but there is a 'delay' between when the handle is being cranked to when the rollers start to move - around 2/3 to 1/2 a turn. I'm nervous about pulling any pieces apart so I was wondering if any of you know what causes this internally and if there is anything I can do to fix it. the woman I bought it from told me it was around 20 years old, it's a combo mill with reduction gear. I can find out the exact model if that would help.

Also since we're here, any rolling mill maintenance/care tips or tricks that you often use? Things you were surprised you could or could not do with your mill?

Thanks, as always.

Replying to my own thread feels a bit like talking to myself, but here is a link to another discussion here about rolling mills with a few tips and tricks: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...t=rolling+mill

Still looking for input on this thread though, the above link is just meant to be supplemental!

I am not an engineer, so I would be reluctant to undo it without advice.

Your choice is to phone Durston to see what they say.
    Or arrange for it to be serviced by them. They are notoriously difficult to deal with, and this could be costly.
    Live with the problem. After all it's only a half turn.

Those old mills had nipples, so that you could lubricate them with a grease gun. I don't think that is necessary now.
    I have WD-40 High performance silicone lubricant in an aerosol can. This has a long tube for a nozzle and allows you to spray the hidden parts. Once or twice a year would be enough.

The rollers themselves need wiping after use with a very light touch of the same stuff to keep them from moisture damage, and before use with a clean rag to remove any stray grit. When not in use cover with a cloth.

If you put Mill, Roll, Texture and other key words into our search box top right you will find lots more about mills. Dennis.

This is the email address for Matthew Durston, it's worth dropping him an email in the first instance maybe providing your phone number mdurston@durston.co.uk

Just realised you are in Canada Emily! He's the MD of the company and although he has been a bit lax about new products when I was thinking of buying a rolling mill he called me back from a trade fair in Germany and was very helpful so the rolling mills are obviously his first love!
    Last edited by CJ57; 09-11-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Take photos of your mill ànd insert in your email. If you have no imediate reply, drive it he will come through in the end. Maybe he has contacts in your country who can help.
    Poor old Les

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Live with the problem. After all it's only a half turn.
    You make a good point.. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a problem that would get worse over time i.e. something that if dealt with now would prevent issues in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    If you put Mill, Roll, Texture and other key words into our search box top right you will find lots more about mills. Dennis.
    Thanks - took a search of the forums already and posted a link after my initial post to a very informative thread (great post by you in there) regarding mills.

To Caroline and Les, thanks so much for your advice and input as well ... I will contact Durston!
    - Emily