Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The learning curve goes on... Ring #2

Default The learning curve goes on... Ring #2

I know it's not up to the beautiful standard of some of the work on here but we all have to start somewhere

I know it's a pretty 'generic' design, but I had no plan for this one. I Just sat down with some 2mm square, 0.3 sheet and a cheap citrine from the local crystal shop and 'had a play'. I learnt a lot from this one, (mainly start on round stones!). I was quite happy with it but can see areas that I would finish differently next time. I would have liked to have got a more elegant sweep/taper out from the bezel, but to be honest I was getting to the point if I didn't step away I was going to ruin it. I think I need to do more calculations so I do all the filing before bending the shank. Then I can maybe measure and mark the start and end points for tapers. This one was a bit 'guess and cut'.

The main issues I had with the stone were A) holding the bleeder still while I wrapped the bezel round to get size, jeez ain't they slippery little blighters! And B) At the point of the teardrop I daren't push the bezel over any further for fear of creasing, so I have a tiny little gap between it and the stone at the point. I have a feeling you can file the bezel down slightly to allow more pushing, but to be honest was terrified to try.

But... Overall, for my second piece in silver I'm quite chuffed

Vos

(PS -Apologies if the pics aren't the best quality. I have to put them through a resizer app in order to get them to post)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_201411071550.jpg   IMG_2014110738616.jpg   IMG_2014110755153.jpg   IMG_2014110750245.jpg  
    Last edited by Vos; 07-11-2014 at 12:40 AM. Reason: added pic
    All the gear and no idea

Your doing great Vos
    Just missing your drawing for this one, I think a finished piece next to am original sketch is a real plus.

Thanks Chris. Didn't do a sketch for this, just went straight to metal I think you guys say. I have to say though I agree with you, having the drawings alongside makes a huge difference. IF I ever get to the stage of selling I think it's going to have to be an integral part of the presentation
    All the gear and no idea

Arrow

Holding the bleeder still, can be done by sticking it down with a small bead of BluTack or WhiteTack. This stuff formed into a cone serves me for picking up stones too.

When making bezels for round stones, I use a cheap set of twist drills and use the stems of those first. Then try around the stone before cutting.

The main problem at the point of a stone, especially faceted ones is cracking the point. To deal with the bezel strip creasing, you can:

1. Polish away the crease
    2. Relieve the point of the bezel with a short saw cut first.
    3. Use fine silver, which is easier to move.

I like your work and it seems to come quite naturally to you. Strangely what I hate with a passion and it's nothing to do with you, is that traditional packaging from box companies.

If you are making hand crafted studio jewellery, a much plainer box, maybe with a printed label would be more in keeping. You can even buy thick foam backed velvet sheet, which can be fitted and punched or slotted to hold rings upright. Dennis.

Thanks for the excellent top tips Dennis. That's definitely blutack on the shopping list, along with tippex!

With regards to the boxes, these are just old ones I have lying around from my gold wearing days. You are not the first person to comment that they're 'old hat'. Money is short at the moment, but I will be looking for alternatives.

And also thank you for the very generous feedback! It is people like yourself and Chris (and others here) that take the time to comment on our faltering steps that will hopefully set beginners like me on the right course.

Vos
    All the gear and no idea

Blimey Vos you don't like to start out easy do you!
    I love it, really cool design and well set.

Fabulous work Vos! Lovely design and stone too :-)

Fantastic ring !!!

Thank you all so much... I'm sure it won't last
    All the gear and no idea

Wow great pieces vos! Very impressive for your first rings!