Thread: Cutting multiple small shapes from silver and gold sheet, photoetch/laser?

Default Cutting multiple small shapes from silver and gold sheet, photoetch/laser?

Hi all,

Been looking into cutting multiples of small shapes from silver and gold sheet up to 1mm thickness. One option is to get a press and pancake dies, but I am also considering outsourcing the cutting to a third party. Question is, what is the best/more economical option.

I know you can have them either laser cut or cut by photoetching. I have done a search through old threads, but they are all quite old and I don't know if the recommendations still stand for companies that do these things.

Any ideas on prices, minimum orders, thickness and size of sheet needed etc. As an example, I need a small heart cutting in 9ct gold, the heart is about 6x6mm in size and needs to be cut from 0.7-0.8mm sheet. Also, what level of cleanup is needed on either of these cutting options?

I know Carole has recommended Chempix for etching and L4laser for lasering in the past. Are these still good options, or does anyone have any other candidates? And is Dave (Geti) around still, haven't seen any posts from him on here, unless I have missed them! I know he used to do laser cutting.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Hi Carin. I used to have things photo etched, but in the end found it too expensive and you have to get "tools" done in the first instance, which cost an arm and a leg. I now use John from L4Laser and I just send him a drawing of what I want and I can have as many or as few as I want. I'm not sure what his standard charge is. I just had 3 large sheets cut out and it was £350'ish. He's happy to cut silver, gold, copper etc.

I'm not sure what Alan (though he's probably happy to be known as Dave!) does these days. He may well cut out shapes. It's worth asking him.

There is a bit of cleaning up as the edges are quite rough, but the Jooltool makes short work of that!

Thanks Carole, I might contact them for a quote. When you say large sheets, what does that mean? How large, and approx how many shapes did you get cut out for the £350. Sorry for cheeky question....

I like the JoolTool plug! Does tumbling do a decent enough job?

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Not sure Carin but it's quite a few. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll count them. The sheets were about 160x160mm x 2 in silver and 10x10mm in gold.

A fly press would do what you want but tooling is expensive

Thanks Josef, yes that is the other option to consider. I have asked loads of questions in another thread about what kind of press/arbour to get. My requirements were to be able to cut these small shapes from 0.8mm sheet, with pancake dies but also use silhouette dies (in a container with urethane pushers etc.) for making puffed freeform shapes, which I believe you can also do in a fly press. I hope to get some instruction at some point (as they do sound a bit scary to use...) and then hopefully pick one up second hand perhaps on ebay. I have been recommended e.g. a Norton No 4 fly press.

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com