Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wax carving tools question

Yes you can melt wax back in if you make an error- the wax carver ( soldering iron type) I have does that easily enough, in fact you can get a cheap little pen which will do small bits too:
    http://www.suttontools.co.uk/battery...ax-cutter.html

Thanks for the compliment! Im very much a novice compared to many here though, James' work is awe inspiring !

You're all inspiring to me!

Am I right in thinking of going for green wax? My thinking is it has less flex for putting into a mould. Or is the the blue perfectly solid enough to push into clay without deformation? (I have just sold my guitar to buy my own delft clay kit).

Also, is there much difference between the two for getting a better 'finish' before casting?

Many thanks

Vos
    All the gear and no idea

Vos, I do not know what you intend modelling, but here is another modelling substance used by many modellers in the trade, it is called Super Sculpey
    see; http://www.sculpey.com/product/super-sculpey/ and here are some results; https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=su...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

It models like plasticine and it is baked and hardened in standard kitchen oven , this stuff will make hard models for Delft clay casting and is quite cheap at £9.50 for a 450gram box from Amazon.

James

I tend to use the blue more as the extra flexibility seems to help prevent it snapping when you are pushing it into the Delft clay.
    Its not so flexible that you can really notice that much- certainly its not bendy pressing in.
    I havent noticed any difference in finish between the two.
    Next thing on my list is to make my own rings that I can make bigger casts in and also pour anything from the top so that gravity lends a hand with the narrower bits

That looks like good stuff James, problem with wax modelling is the mess, it gets everywhere.

I shall find out soon!

I just pulled the trigger on a casting set and those tools James linked to (thanks James)
    All the gear and no idea

Good luck Vos, I look forward to seeing the results.

James

Keep designs simple, I've tried it a few times years ago & it doesn't always work first time, so you need to play around abit with the air holes & extra metal weight ect..good fun though
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 08-11-2014 at 08:34 PM.