Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Competition fail - Here's what I coulda won...

Talking Competition fail - Here's what I coulda won...

It was all going so well. Thought of a good idea for this months compo. Decided I'd make some ickle tiny copper and silver mittens to mount as earrings.

Having never done earrings this would push me to try as I have some wires for another idea. Good practice I thought.

Hammered and curved the copper wire to shape like a mit, and even managed to solder a little thumb on. Even more chuffed was I when I managed to make two tiny deep bezels out of 0.3 sheet perfectly that would go on like a cuff... You can see what's coming can't you...

Trying to solder the 'bezels' onto the much thicker 'hand' I had to get the copper so hot that the solder climbed everywhere, and I even managed to completely melt one of the bezels. Here's what they looked like before I made some very bespoke scrap.

I think I'll try something more suited to my Neanderthal hands
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20141105_003616.jpg   IMG_2014110524325.jpg   IMG_2014110542539.jpg  
    Last edited by Vos; 05-11-2014 at 07:13 PM.
    All the gear and no idea

Aww, that's a shame. I think you should try again as they're so cute.

Aw I totally agree with Carole, they're so cute, try again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely. Analyse, understand, alter as needed, repeat. All part of the learning process.
    I'd probably have chased them from sheet myself.

I guess you're all right. Watch out for a spike in the copper markets

PS... In the fairness of competition Mr Bond I will ask you about that suggestion AFTER I have remade.
    Last edited by Vos; 05-11-2014 at 07:31 PM.
    All the gear and no idea

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

oh how I love miniatures.

you did so very well - when heating up the metals, get the bigger stuff hot first and then add the smaller things. Where you don't want the solder to run, add a little bit of tippex or rouge.

they would be fab as cuff links too

It's actually difficult to know why the copper melted, but your reference to the solder 'climbing' indicates that you were using too fierce a flame (one with a strong blue cone) and heating up your pieces too fast.

The trick is to heat both parts to be joined equally, but keep the flame more bushy by partially closing the air hole.

It is also a good idea to solder in semi darkness, so that you become aware when the flame is held too long in one place.

Lastly if all else fails, use easy solder, which requires less heat. Dennis.

Thanks Wallace/Dennis

I did apply heat to copper first due to size, I think a lot of issues were as dennis suggests, too harsh a flame. That and fighting with the heat sucking steel tweezers that were holding them (and being a complete novice!).

I will certainly try a bushier flame and the rouge/tippex trick, thanks.
    All the gear and no idea

Make yourself some Titanium clamps too, they don't heat sink the way steel does.
    I love the mittens, you have to remake them!

Definitely throwing my 2p worth in for a re-make. Very very cute and I agree with Wallace they would make lovely cufflinks.

Susie