Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faceted pearls

Default Faceted pearls

I keep coming across this guy's work and constantly impressed. I didn't even know you could do this to a pearl!

anyway, thought I would share!

http://www.katesjewelrycorner.com/il...-kralj-emajla/

Be interesting to hear the views of others.

Well you know I love Art Nouveau Liz but he's taken it to another level. I'm not sure where I could wear them but I love the 3 dimensional dragonfly pendant, such subtlety in the colours on a cord which seemed strange. Maybe it's one of his/ her day pieces!
    The pearls are incredible, think I'll take a file to one of my scabbier ones and see what happens

OH MY......that's it....speechless

The style of jewelry doesn't really float my boat but I find the look of the faceted pearl intriguing..

From JCKOnline :

"Prices for faceted pearls vary as they would for non-faceted pearls, based on typical pearl quality features and factoring in the additional faceting quality. For an 18-in. strand of fine-quality 8-mm to 10-mm round Tahitian faceted pearls, prices range from $4,000 to $10,000. For single white or golden South Sea faceted cultured pearls, expect prices for 8-mm to 10-mm fine-quality specimens to range from $200 to $800. Fine-quality 8-mm to 10-mm Chinese freshwater cultured faceted pearl strands can range in price from $2,000 to $4,000. On the low end, strands of commercial-quality faceted Chinese freshwaters are available at trade shows for as little as $500."

More on faceted pearls here.

I wonder how the lower end (I mean much lower end than the $500 strands) compare to quality ones.

If you want the finest of faceted or carved pearls you need to look at the work of Chi Galatea He is the man doing amazing things with pearls http://www.galateausa.com/main.php (and he is amazingly nice too- there is a mention of meeting him in Hong Kong at the World gem show in the Pearlescence blog)
    I've not stocked decent carved pearls so far. I see them very rarely and have never been asked to get any.
    I have some cheapo 'faceted' pearls in stock..they're dyed and the facets are a coating. I got them a few years ago and still have some of the stock. There is no comparison!
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I too love the dragonfly pendant but on a cord, really?! All of them are beautiful but not the sort of stuff I could wear down at Tesco (which constitutes an afternoon out for me these days!).

Not too sure about the Galatea pearls though.

Hmmmm not keen on the Galatea stuff clever as it is. It feels a bit too (and this will cound paradoxical and bonkers given that I'm in lust with the russian guy's work) bling.

I have no idea where you could wear faluzywhatever's stuff but they get gifted to the wives of heads of state so maybe you'd have to mary a president?

And I must be weird. I liked the pendant on a cord. The cord somehow heightens the beauty for me. Plus I bet its not just any old cord. Probably woven from the hair of 50 virgins or something.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post

And I must be weird. I liked the pendant on a cord. The cord somehow heightens the beauty for me. Plus I bet its not just any old cord. Probably woven from the hair of 50 virgins or something.
    Well the hair of 50 virgins makes all the difference It was the one I could see myself wearing though!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Well the hair of 50 virgins makes all the difference It was the one I could see myself wearing though!
    you don't love the butterfly ring?

I think it's the enamelling which I'm most impressed with. The stuff just remands me of Lalique so much, right down to the use of 'ordinary', non-precious materials (well the cord).

Also in fairness to Pearl's pal, I just looked on my laptop (instead of my phone) and some of that stuff is actually amazing in the technique.