Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faceted pearls

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    you don't love the butterfly ring?

I think it's the enamelling which I'm most impressed with. The stuff just remands me of Lalique so much, right down to the use of 'ordinary', non-precious materials (well the cord).
    I like most of them but the dragonfly I could see me making use of, maybe it was the chord ! The enamelling is so delicate but unlike you I haven't been lucky enough to see Lalique in the flesh

The enamelling is simply incredible. You have to have a lot of expertise and also a lot of nerve to make them. I find myself holding my breath when my simple stuff comes out of the kiln - I'd be a quivering wreck if I was making those!

pearlescence.....can you explain how the pearls are facetted? I've never seen this before. we're always told to look after pearls and not damage the surface.....Is it a facetted bead that goes in the oyster?

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    The enamelling is simply incredible. You have to have a lot of expertise and also a lot of nerve to make them. I find myself holding my breath when my simple stuff comes out of the kiln - I'd be a quivering wreck if I was making those!
    do you count down the seconds? My friend whose been teaching me just gets on with other stuff and seems to know instinctively when it's done. I have to count out… usually to 150

Default Cruelty to Oysters

Last year I went to an exhibition, at the V&A I think, about the history of cultured pearls. What impressed me most was a picture of the boss and his staff, holding a ceremony for the oysters that died. Dennis.

Steve, the cutting is done post-harvest. Chi' s stuff is done with Dremel type things but I don't know about just facetted. Polished on a wheel I guess.
    Yes, you need to look after the surface. Pearls are porous so absorb stuff like perfume (we had some back for re-stringing which RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRReeeeeeeeeeeeeeked) you can thump them on a table and they will be fine but they will scratch with something sharp The measurable hardness varies not just between species but even between pearls from the same species (as I know all too well from drilling them every day)
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    do you count down the seconds? My friend whose been teaching me just gets on with other stuff and seems to know instinctively when it's done. I have to count out… usually to 150
    Yes I do count and I always keep the fork in my hand just in case I get distracted.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Yes I do count and I always keep the fork in my hand just in case I get distracted.
    I did an amazing scarab today. I'm well pleased

Care to share a pic? Such a tease .... :p

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    - Emily

I will, but I'm back writing today. ever grinding on….