Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damascus bearclaw pendant

Default Damascus bearclaw pendant

Grizzly bear claw pendant in Hakkapella damascus with (i'd like to say gold) hammered finish brass mount / bail.

Mark

Just messing with the photography! Here's a couple I just processed with the pendant draped across a mountain man bowie.......

Against all custom and without wishing to give offence, I am going to say what I really think. Others will no doubt disagree and I hope will shoot me down.

1. The claw is beautiful and unusual and I think deserves a more splendid treatment.

2. By comparison with the claw, the hammering of the brass mount is a very basic form of decoration, when perhaps wire work could have been used, or another form of texturing, or perhaps just a crisp smooth shape. Failing all else, the reverse side of hammered sheet is much more subtle in effect.

3. The snake chain is also a let down, being the staple of imported and mass produced jewellery.There are so many more beautiful ones to choose from.

Dennis.

No offence taken Dennis and in terms of saying what you really think - I would not have it any other way. Thanks.

Im here to learn and in terms of making 'jewellery' - am a complete novice with only a few pieces under my belt. All advice and suggestions gratefully received.

What I aim to achieve is simplicity with ruggedness. I imagined an indigenous people making such an item with basic tools and thought the hammered finish would be likely. I do see what you mean about the snake chain. I'd usually have gone with a simple cord - got carried away there......

Mark

Personally I'd stick with steel & cord (& knife making).. 3 different clashing materials on that, but I do like the actual claw

Like the first pics you put up, is the way to go in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    Personally I'd stick with steel & cord (& knife making).. 3 different clashing materials on that, but I do like the actual claw
    Like the first pics you put up, is the way to go in my opinion.
    Thanks for your (mostly) constructive criticism Chris. However, your throwaway comment that I should stick to making knives did make me bristle (just a little) I do this all for fun. I make whatever takes my fancy as a hobby and at the moment that includes doing stuff like this pendant. Unlike your good-self, I don't have to rely on my products / services bringing home the bacon, so why would I stick to one thing when I get enjoyment from the challenge of making different stuff?

Just fun mate - if it's crap tell me (but don't suggest I shouldn't try) and I'll throw it away and do another until I get it right. And I will.

Hugs fella :-)

I think you misunderstood what I was getting at
    Let`s try again... what I mean is (my opinion), your jewellery is great, but I think the simpler bits you made (damascus & cord) work better, rather than combining the brass & silver aswell.

I also liked your knives alot, so keep that bit up (compliment).

I just didn`t like the combination of damascus, brass & silver all together, but maybe someone does... Maybe the claw by itself would be my cup of tea.

Hope that comes across abit better?

Much better - thanks Chris

Bigger hugs

Mark,
    I fully understand what Chris has suggested; I personally find the addition of the brass bail too much for the piece and distracts the eye a little from the "gorgeousness" of the claw itself. For Me it looks over designed often less is more. Love the claw and your knives, not keen on the brass.

Please continue to show us your fantastic skills with this gorgeous technique,
    Les.
    Last edited by art925; 05-11-2014 at 10:07 AM.
    Poor old Les

The other thing is, your damascus work is unique so keep it that way?

Soon as you start adding things, it kinda loses that "edge".....I reckon you could make some nice pocket money with that niche.

If you want to do the same as everyone else then go for it, but that would be abit daft to me.