Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting dented and with balls on?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Casting dented and with balls on?

Hi,

I have sent some flat pieces off for moulding and casting of my metal master, over half of them have come back with wierd ball things on, is this where there was micro porosity and they have tried to microweld the hole? Some of the balls protrude more than the left over sprue! They are in different places on over 8/12 pieces I ordered. Any idea what I do about it? As my pieces are mainly flat?

I also have looked at one of the pieces I sent off for casting, it was perfectly finished and polished when I sent it off, and I sent them boxed. The casting of this piece has come out with a massive dent in all the pieces, I have checked the metal master they returned and it is NOT dented. I need these pieces to be perfectly flat for use in my engraving machine, I can't use these dented ones, they are a set of three so basically my whole order can't be used unless I can fix it. I made sure they were 100% perfect before sending them off for casting and the returned master is not dented.

I realise castings need to be finished etc, but unless I can work out how to cut off the balls and fix the dents I cant use any of them.

One of them, the heart picture, has a giant hole in too! If you look at the top middle of the heart slightly to the left it can be seen.

Do I have any grounds to ask them to re-do the mould of the dented piece? and how do I fix the 'ball problem' and can I ask them to re-do the one with the hole?

Thanks so much!
    Hannah

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-11-05 10.52.44.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	6889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-11-05 10.50.57 (1).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	6890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-11-05 10.50.57 (1).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	6890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-11-05 10.56.57.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	6891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castinghole.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	6892
    Last edited by Hannah Jackson; 05-11-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Forgot to add photos!

It might not be the mould but the wax. I sometimes get small balls on some of my stuff (and it always seems to be on the flat surfaces, seldom on a textured part. I think this is because bubbles form in the investment. They should file off pretty easily, though I get it's a drag to have to do this.

The hole is most likely because the silver cooled.

Dents? I'd say downright carelessness. I'd ask them to re-do the castings but also to check the mould.

Hi Hannah, I am assuming that these are silver so forgive me for asking but as they are flat, wouldn't they have been better if they were just pierced from sheet rather than castings?

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Hi Hannah, I am assuming that these are silver so forgive me for asking but as they are flat, wouldn't they have been better if they were just pierced from sheet rather than castings?

James
    maybe it's a time and accuracy thing? it would take me ages to pierce something like that.

Carole, I have an ace chiffon blouse somewhere. I promise I'll dig it out and come visit you.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    maybe it's a time and accuracy thing? it would take me ages to pierce something like that.

Carole, I have an ace chiffon blouse somewhere. I promise I'll dig it out and come visit you.
    I'll hold you to that Liz. Maybe when Carin's had the baby we should all have tea and cake at mine.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I'll hold you to that Liz. Maybe when Carin's had the baby we should all have tea and cake at mine.
    Its a deal. But you have to wear the blouse.

And let me take photos.

James
    Your too polite for your own good James.
    You'll get a lot quicker, neater job with a saw. I think you owe it to yourself to try it.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 06-11-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    Your too polite for your own good James.
    You'll get a lot quicker, neater job with a saw. I think you owe it to yourself to try it.
    I do sometimes wonder about why some avoid standard benchwork Chris, when I first saw the photos that Hannah posted and then that they were castings I thought there were hundreds involved, but then I read that she wanted only 12. I reckon that It would take me less than 4 hours to mark, pierce, file and polish 12 of those shapes from sheet.

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 06-11-2014 at 06:17 PM.

It's probably a case of not having the time. I think Hannah sells with Notonthehighstreet.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    No, it's due to the fact that it's hollow in the middle. It's a very simple design though, so I thought it would be OK. I'd show you if I was allowed to.
    but if you did you'd have to kill me?

I do sometimes wonder about why some avoid standard benchwork Chris, when I first saw the photos that Hannah posted and then that they were castings I thought there were hundreds involved, but then I read that she wanted only 12. I reckon that It would take me less than 4 hours to mark, pierce, file and polish 12 of those shapes from sheet.

James
    It could be time as Carole says, but also back to what Chris said in a different thread, some people (and I'm afraid I include myself in this) seek the (usually non-existent) short cut. If it were me, the short cut I'd take would be to get a die made and stamp them out. I bet it would work out cheaper than casting although you would need to keep to under 1mm.