Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Casting dented and with balls on?

Unhappy Casting dented and with balls on?

Hi,

I have sent some flat pieces off for moulding and casting of my metal master, over half of them have come back with wierd ball things on, is this where there was micro porosity and they have tried to microweld the hole? Some of the balls protrude more than the left over sprue! They are in different places on over 8/12 pieces I ordered. Any idea what I do about it? As my pieces are mainly flat?

I also have looked at one of the pieces I sent off for casting, it was perfectly finished and polished when I sent it off, and I sent them boxed. The casting of this piece has come out with a massive dent in all the pieces, I have checked the metal master they returned and it is NOT dented. I need these pieces to be perfectly flat for use in my engraving machine, I can't use these dented ones, they are a set of three so basically my whole order can't be used unless I can fix it. I made sure they were 100% perfect before sending them off for casting and the returned master is not dented.

I realise castings need to be finished etc, but unless I can work out how to cut off the balls and fix the dents I cant use any of them.

One of them, the heart picture, has a giant hole in too! If you look at the top middle of the heart slightly to the left it can be seen.

Do I have any grounds to ask them to re-do the mould of the dented piece? and how do I fix the 'ball problem' and can I ask them to re-do the one with the hole?

Thanks so much!
    Hannah

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-11-05 10.52.44.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	6889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-11-05 10.50.57 (1).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	6890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-11-05 10.50.57 (1).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	6890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-11-05 10.56.57.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	6891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castinghole.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	6892
    Last edited by Hannah Jackson; 05-11-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Forgot to add photos!

It might not be the mould but the wax. I sometimes get small balls on some of my stuff (and it always seems to be on the flat surfaces, seldom on a textured part. I think this is because bubbles form in the investment. They should file off pretty easily, though I get it's a drag to have to do this.

The hole is most likely because the silver cooled.

Dents? I'd say downright carelessness. I'd ask them to re-do the castings but also to check the mould.

Hi Hannah, I am assuming that these are silver so forgive me for asking but as they are flat, wouldn't they have been better if they were just pierced from sheet rather than castings?

James

I'd agree with Medusa. I have no experience at all of casting and I think it's a lot more difficult than I realised.

I made a piece which I sent off for casting last week and had a phone call yesterday to say it wasn't possible due to the design of the piece. Gutted! particularly as it's a piece that Noths are going to promote heavily for Valentine's Day next year. I'm trying to think of a way around the problem. It's a nightmare though, as Noths want the piece for a photo shoot by Monday. I've had to re-make it just for the shoot and then I'll have to make it again for casting. That will be the fifth attempt as the first was too big, the pieces didn't fit together properly for the second and third and the fourth is still with the casters.

Back to your piece though Hannah, that's where the Jooltool comes into its own as it will take off the defects and casting skin in a flash. I know I keep banging on about it, but every time I use it, I love it more. I now have 2 of them and they get used more than anything else in the workshop now!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Hi Hannah, I am assuming that these are silver so forgive me for asking but as they are flat, wouldn't they have been better if they were just pierced from sheet rather than castings?

James
    maybe it's a time and accuracy thing? it would take me ages to pierce something like that.

Carole, I have an ace chiffon blouse somewhere. I promise I'll dig it out and come visit you.

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    maybe it's a time and accuracy thing? it would take me ages to pierce something like that.

Carole, I have an ace chiffon blouse somewhere. I promise I'll dig it out and come visit you.
    I'll hold you to that Liz. Maybe when Carin's had the baby we should all have tea and cake at mine.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I'll hold you to that Liz. Maybe when Carin's had the baby we should all have tea and cake at mine.
    Its a deal. But you have to wear the blouse.

And let me take photos.

That's going back on the deal. We could make Carin wear it as she's not here to object.

Hi Hannah,

The balls are due to bubbles forming in the investment, though these should be minimal, they do happen, a quick touch with the file, when you're prepping the rest of the surface should sort these,.....however, the hole, though these do occur, I would ask for a recast on this.....usually accommodated without a problem by the caster....

In terms of the difference between your master model and the supplied pieces I would certainly question this.....that said, I can't remember seeing it in your pictures.... ...did you post one of the master and the dented cast??

Carole, that sounds like a nightmare.....have you worked out a solution??

....wished I lived closer....would have loved to have seen one of you (not me!!) wear the chiffon blouse!!!!