Thread: Ring collet / claw angles?

Default Ring collet / claw angles?

Hello all,

Wasn't quite sure how to describe the question in the title.

Basically.. How do you all go about cutting the angle in a ring shank for something like a tapered collet or a claw to be inserted into?

I know some people do it by eye, but I'm finding that very tricky indeed. I've no problem with using a cylinder burr or a half round needle file for the top profile, it's the side profile I'm struggling with. Is their a trick to doing this as the next step for me will be to make a template and score around it as I'm stumped!

Cheers,

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what the problem is Nick, because after you have done it for a while it seems simple enough, though long winded and tedious.
    So all I can do is to go through the process as I see it.

I am presuming that the collet is wider than the shank, so the first worry is that the carefully sized shank will spring open when you cut through it. To prevent that, anneal it first. Then work gently and keep checking throughout that you are maintaining the size.

Next cut a vertical slot narrower than the collet and create a round hole as seen from the top, which will fit the bottom of the collet.

Then with a cylinder burr and a round needle file, gradually taper the hole until the collet fits.

An alternative, which might be easier would be to shape the base of the collet to fit the shank instead, as with my demonstration ring below. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Demonstration Ring With Set CZ.jpg  

As always Dennis, cheers for all of that information and I think you may have just enabled me to have my eureka moment!

From what you describe, you form the taper for the collet from above with a cylinder burr and needle files, and therein was my problem.

I was trying to form the 'V' shaped taper from side-on instead of angling the burr and file from above.

All a valuable learning curve so now back to the bench.

Cheers,

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk