Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Casting dented and with balls on?

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I don't think you need to be concerned for anyone else. We're all striving to be better If we weren't, we wouldn't be on here asking questions and learning from those with more experience. .
    That sounds abit contradicting?

Leading horses to water.....
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 07-11-2014 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    What I was trying to say in a roundabout way Chris is that sometimes your tone can come across as a bit condescending.
    Sorry about that! that`s the difference with written word versus conversation.

James offered a subtle hint of advice that clearly sounded too much like hard work...

I`m just trying to be straight without beating around the bush, it`s a case of bearing in mind I can`t put tone into words but I don`t mean to be unhelpful, rude or whatever else it comes across as....

Apologies for the missing post - I removed it and PM'd Carole out of concern it might be a bit inflammatory. Worrying unduly

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Apologies for the missing post - I removed it and PM'd Carole out of concern it might be a bit inflammatory. Worrying unduly
    spoilsport

Lets draw a line now. Sorry if I caused offence.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I think there's an issue around what techniques are appropriate at what level.

If you're doing one or two items, then a purist approach is appropriate. You've presumably got the opportunity for the time and materials to be paid for; with the more expensive materials, the time is... Immaterial. Or more so.
    Short runs, it depends on the final value again. It may be appropriate to hand fabricate everything, but there may be a suitable point to look at alternative tooling.
    Longer runs, almost certainly alternative tooling - or contract the work out to somewhere where labour is cheap. James' regalia might fit into this category, with custom flypress tooling?
    All out mass-production - hand fabrication takes a back seat and industrial processes do the bulk of the work; setup costs are very high but the cost is spread across thousands of pieces.

Horses for courses. I prefer the first category, but will venture into the second for more cost-effective approaches.
    Conversely, adopting mass-production techniques for very short runs is not the greatest match in general.

Caveat, caveat, exclusion etc. - there is no one-size-fits-all-scenarios.
    I think it also depends on where you are coming at it from. I think most people here were into making jewellery either as a hobby or a profession and then got the skills to do that. I wanted to have something, found it wasn't available and so made it firstly for myself and then for other people who similarly weren't having their desires (as opposed to needs) met by the market. All the skills I have, such as they are, have been gained from this perspective. It took me over a week of trying to make the first piece, but now I can do one in about half an hour. But I didn't need to do much in the way of piercing, so it doesn't get practiced that much.

My poor skills have also sometimes lead to design improvements . For example, the professional thing would be to solder in places. My soldering was continually failing, mostly because I didn't have enough heat, so I riveted instead with is better and more fit for purpose plus it gives me a USP and I now make some money out of it, enough to pay for a week-long conference trip to Lisbon, last year.

And now I'm becoming more ambitious and have so many design ideas, I am gradually teaching myself the skills to go along with how I'm going to make something.

[QUOTE=Gemsetterchris;73195]
    Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    , this isn't my job, mr snitty,QUOTE]

Never my intention to be Mr Snitty , just trying to point out a fact.

Obviously the likes of Carole need a different approach for mass amounts...I`m just abit concerned about the lack of basic tool skills.
    I can make a cake with a packet mix but it doesn`t make me a potential chef.

I`ll have to play Mr ignorant abit more.
    I was mostly and hopefully you saw that, just gently ribbing you

I think most us here with low or entry level skills know how and where we lack. And because cookies do sell 'packet mix' jewellery like those shamballa things, it is actually inevitable that you will at some point come across a poster asking about that assemblage because this is a customer forum, so worth bearing in mind the huge range of skill levels on here.

[QUOTE=medusa;73218]I was mostly and hopefully you saw that, just gently ribbing you QUOTE]

Your going to need to re-sharpen that stick soon

[QUOTE=Gemsetterchris;73221]
    I was mostly and hopefully you saw that, just gently ribbing you QUOTE]

Your going to need to re-sharpen that stick soon
    well I haz a gadget for that

I think most us here with low or entry level skills know how and where we lack. And because cookies do sell 'packet mix' jewellery like those shamballa things, it is actually inevitable that you will at some point come across a poster asking about that assemblage because this is a customer forum, so worth bearing in mind the huge range of skill levels on here.
    I admit forgetting that.
    However It's best to walk the stairs up slowly rather than take the elevator first, like we had to back in the days ..hard work but more beneficial.
    Then you can do either as you see fit.

Take a while to think on that.

You guys do make me chuckle
    Personally I would have pierced them out too, but then I like piercing and its something Im pretty quick at, horses for courses as Peter says