Thread: CVs

Default CVs

Hello all,
    I'm applying for something completely different to my normal work and need to submit an 'artist's cv' in support of my application.
    Now, I only sell in one gallery (because it helps mental health charities), and pretty much have been making custom work and my own noodlings. I don't really have any arts-based exhibiting experience yet, what on earth do I put?
    Any ideas appreciated!

I would think that the "exhibiting" is only a small part of the "artists cv". I would be looking at - any formal training and at what college/uni - how long you have been doing this - any specialties - important commissions as well as "usual" ones - what bespoke capabilities - pictures of your work (if you like from start to now to show your progression in skills?)
    And at the end you can put about the gallery you exhibit (with pic?) and the reason why you exhibit there...

so less of a standard boring CV and more of an artists portfolio/CV combo?

But I guess it depends on the job you're going for of course....

I love this - http://www.artybollocks.com/

On a serious note, I think you just need to say a bit about who you are, what inspires you and how you translate that into what you do. Which of course may end up sounding like the above Sometimes it's easier to think about a favourite piece and see if that can be translated into something that makes sense.

Good luck with the application.

Try looking at it from the perspective of the organisation you are applying to:

How has the vacancy arisen? Is it new, or a replacement position?
    Is it expanding, or venturing into a new area?
    Is it a regular "artist in residence" slot? Do they have any special focus or theme for the season? How would your work tie in....
    What are the aims of the organisation?

How do your skills, experience and approach transfer across? What would make you stand out from the other applicants? It might be the range of your work, individual approach........

Good luck!

Having been office based until I retired, Ada summed it up perfectly, do some crafty digging to see what they want from a new person, and if given the post, how could you enhance it and what new ideas could you put in place, or at least suggest. Good luck, hope its what you want. Pat.

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    Hello all,
    I'm applying for something completely different to my normal work and need to submit an 'artist's cv' in support of my application.
    Do a video CV for them. It might not be what they're expecting, but that could be to your advantage. Besides, we know you're good at doing videos.

If it's an arts based job, I think it is normal to have an artist's statement as part of your cv. I think you also need to have links (make them hyperlinks if you are emailing a word doc) to your main web presence.

Good luck with it!

Agree with Ada.Try to work out what their criteria check list is and aim to tick each box clearly and in an idiot proof way. No time for subtle. Sock it to 'em
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

thanks all. Excuse vaguesness! I am happy with how I'd suit the role, but it's the CV itself that is looking empty. I love that artist statement generator by the way! Me & Mr have lost hours on that!