Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Damascus bearclaw pendant

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    The other thing is, your damascus work is unique so keep it that way?
    Soon as you start adding things, it kinda loses that "edge".....I reckon you could make some nice pocket money with that niche.
    If you want to do the same as everyone else then go for it, but that would be abit daft to me.
    You are right of course. I want 'unique' - to develop my own style and have no intention of trying to be the same as everyone else.

BUT, with this particular piece - I was trying to add a touch of realism or believability to what is a steel copy of an organic material - in that a real tooth or claw needs to be set into a mount - much the same as a stone? I was trying to avoid it looking just like a steel claw shape with a hole drilled through it - does that make sense?

I'll have a re-think - but any mount suggestions for this piece would be interesting to hear.

Mark

Right, I was just thinking that I am a bonehead when it came to me. BONE. Might be a perfect contrast to the steel damascus and add that 'touch of realism' that I was after. Got some nice black bone - hmmmm..........

I get your point.
    Abit of trial & error is required..I'm sure you'll figure something that compliments rather than clashes :beer:

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    The other thing is, your damascus work is unique so keep it that way?

Soon as you start adding things, it kinda loses that "edge".....I reckon you could make some nice pocket money with that niche.

If you want to do the same as everyone else then go for it, but that would be abit daft to me.
    This.

I thought the beauty of the actual claw was diminished by the brass bail thing, but that said, I really dislike those kind of bails anyway. I can just about appreciate some of the really well-done antique ones.

If you want to make something akin to indigenous jewellery, Native American claw jewellery just used the bear claws without the caps:
    http://lewis-clark.org/content/conte...ArticleID=3044
    http://www.firstpeople.us/native-ame...w-jewelry.html

Imho, I don't like the idea of the real thing,....having watched grizzlies in the wild last year,.....but your damascus claw Mark is fantastic,...I think that Chris has a point about the uniqueness and beauty of this aspect of your work, you really do doit so well!!

If I were making a bail/hanging mechanism for this, it would be in silver, since this would blend rather than detract from the piece. I also think that I would hang it on a leather thong with silver fittings......now the style of bail is more of a challenge.......thinking.....

From my pov it's very unusual, loving the uses of all the different metals used. To me, this is a very striking piece.
    Sian Williamson

I'd love the claw on leather - and happily with surfer knots rather than have silver fittings.