Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My very first ever silver soldering...

Default My very first ever silver soldering...

Hi all. Just joined so be gentle with me I just wanted to share my first attempt at a silver ring. To give some background I started an evening class five weeks ago, but have been doing lots of reading and self learning besides.

I've always had a fascination with jewellery that 'does something' or is articulated in some way, so I set myself the crazy challenge of making a spinner ring. My tutor said I was mad, but I knew in my mind how I could make it. So I did some calculations using what Cooksons supplied as stock and set to...

Hope you appreciate my 'in at the deep end' soldering challenge. I even managed to not weld the whole contraption into one solid lump when I soldered the last 'shim' to trap the spinner. It's not perfect, and if I remade it I would add some texture, but I also wanted to try my hand at high polish. It came out a little chunkier than I imagined, but for first ever ring in silver I'm chuffed. I used 1mm for shank, 1mm square for side shims and 10x3 D wire for spinner.

Enjoy... (apologies if it's a little pic heavy for some)

Vos

(edit - I actually made this two weeks ago)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2014110324457.jpg   IMG_2014110354969.jpg   IMG_2014110336142.jpg   IMG_201411034854.jpg   IMG_2014110316410.jpg  

Last edited by Vos; 03-11-2014 at 09:37 PM.
    All the gear and no idea

Very nicely done Vos and impressive for your first silver soldering. Love the drawing too. I really must stop scribbling mine on the back of envelopes.

Susie

Very nice - one way of stopping the flow of solder is to use liquid paper (a brand such as tipp - ex) , it comes in handy bottles, and has a little brush. It works by making the area "dirty", so solder cannot flow over it, but it cleans off very easily.

Thats a fine first attempt Vos, and you do right to be proud of it. Nicely planned out, executed, and you've also achieved a great polish. Well done!

Nick

Why is it that people like us do things out of our comfort zone. The first ring I made after a couple of weeks in my evening class was a ring with silver balls on, not too difficult really, but about 4 weeks before I had my eye removed due to an infection inside after a cataract removal. So depth perception was not in my vocabulary at that time. The second ring I made was a twisted open ended ring with a peridot in the gap between the two ends. Still I suppose its a way of progressing a bit quicker. One night a week for 10 weeks isnt enough to learn, more of a taster course really, but at that time there wasnt another more progressive class to carry on with, so joining here was my progression course. Really helpful people who will go out of their way to help you.

beautiful job!

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

For a first attempt it is excellent - in fact it is just excellent. You should see my first attempt - nowhere near as complex as a spinner ring and a lot rougher and more "amateurish" than yours, well done.

You seem have a good variety of tools and a decent work bench from the photographs.
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

It looks great, would not believe that it's a first attempt. I wish that I could draw - and achieve such a good polished finish.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

It looks really great, well done!

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

natural born smithy!

lovely finish too.