Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: November 2014 Theme Competition

Default November 2014 Theme Competition

November 14 Competition Theme: Winter

Post your themed pieces within this thread with a little bit about the design and the winner will be revealed at the end of the month!

The Winner will WIN a £100 shopping spree.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

A few legalities...

Terms & conditions

No purchase necessary. The closing date for the competition will be 30.11.2014. The winner will win a £100 inc. VAT shopping spree at Cooksongold.

The judging process will take place by 05.12.2014. Our Judging Panel will make the final decision.

The Competition is open to all Cooksongold customers aged 18 years and over.

Only one entry per category per person.

There is no cash alternative. Cooksongold reserves the right to change the prize for one of equivalent value.

The winner will be notified on the forum within this thread by 05.12.2014.

Employees of Cooksongold, their agents and families are excluded from the competition together with any person connected to the competition.

Entry into the competition is deemed as acceptance of the rules. The winner agrees to participate in any publicity in connection with the competition.

To enter the competition, simply publish your design/comment within this thread.

No correspondence will be entered into. The judging panel's decision is final. The promoter is Cooksongold.

Default Entry for 'Winter' competition

Hello Folks of Cooksonland

Here is my entry for this months competition 'Winter'.

I figured one of the objects most likely to conjure an image of winter are gloves, as they're not really worn any other time of year (work gloves aside). For ease of manufacture I settled on a pair of mittens. In my mind I pictured a lovely warm pair of suede/sheepskin mittens.

They are formed from 3mm copper wire which was hammered out then filed, shaped and formed. The 'thumbs' were from 1mm wire soldered on then cut and filed. For the cuffs I made two bezel 'endcaps' from 0.5mm silver sheet then stick soldered them to the ends of the copper. The earposts were soldered on, then a final clean and polish.

I chose copper because as it patinates it would take on a colour closer to the leather I originally envisaged and also add more contrast to the silver cuffs. Thereby using oxidation as a feature rather than trying to prevent it.

These were made purely for the competition and I have to say they were possibly one the trickiest projects I've attempted yet, mainly due to their fiddly nature. I enjoyed making them though and learned a lot in the process.

Thanks for looking

Vos

(Apologies for the poor photography, I only have my phone at present)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2014112840443.jpg   IMG_2014112854534.jpg   IMG_201411289384.jpg   IMG_2014112822667.jpg   IMG_2014112810586.jpg  

Last edited by Vos; 28-11-2014 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Added additional picture
    All the gear and no idea

Default Snow White Inspired Pendant

Hi guys!

I was thinking of birch trees in the winter after reading this competition description which got me mulling over forests. The fairy tale of Snow White started banging about in there too. Lips as red as blood, skin as white as snow...

So I put together a pendant with a snowy white pearl and a hematite (which in real life is a little more bloody red vs the orangy red it appears in the picture.).

The piece is comprised of various gauges of sterling sheet and some square wire for the outside of the frame. The "birches" were ground from 1 mm sterling sheet. Half of a tube runs along the backside as a hidden bail.

Thanks for looking!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0147.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	6997
    - Emily

Cute earrings, Vos Nice and shiny!
    - Emily

Love the birch trees Emily!
    Those gloves are just adorable Vos! you nailed it!

2 lovely entries so far.

The birch trees are beautiful.

Thanks for the comments. It took three attempts, but got there in the end.

Have to agree on the birch trees Emily, they're really effective!

Vos
    All the gear and no idea

They're both great designs, I really like them

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Fab entries, really love them both. .

Winter to me is a cold time, often filled with frozen mornings and what better to find in a freeze - snow. Here is my own designed snowflake, with 1.2mm synthetic sapphires and 1.2mm diamonds, and cut from 1.2mm sheet silver They have been set with my graver with three grains on each one to keep them from wondering.

Attachment 7000
    Attachment 7001
    Attachment 7002
    Attachment 7003
    Last edited by Wallace; 30-11-2014 at 10:20 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbs_p7109588.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	7004

My entry for this month's competition is a Snow Goose......which can be worn as a brooch or a pendant.....it has handmade brooch fittings or a chain can be threaded under the wing (which acts as a bail), to be worn as a pendant. In sterling silver with patinated detail, a 9ct gold beak and black diamond eye....