Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An Arbor Press is useful

If you want to have a go with my RT blanking system, you're very welcome.

Thanks James, I think once I get around to doing this the fly-press might be the way to go for me, if I can pick up a second hand one it should be less money than a hydraulic press and if it can be used for silhouette forming as well as pancake die cutting then that would be the thing for me, scary or not! Will need to go and get some proper instruction methinks!

Thanks for the offer, Carole! I think if I go down that route as a cheaper interim I might go for a cheaper arbor press, but get a 1 or 2 tonne one. Just needs to get a flat base on it and I guess a flat pressing "top", should be able to get someone local to make them to fit...

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

I have a 2T arbor press from when Axminster still carried that size; I've now got a manual 20T hydraulic press and I've used flypresses quite a lot (and power hammers, but I'm not convinced I need one except maybe for working down large mokume billets).

Flypresses are very, very quick to use; not setting them up with the balls at head height is useful. They aren't subtle, they're a quick impact and they're very inexpensive (look on EBay, for example).
    Manual hydraulic presses are slow - nice and controllable, but slow. Powered ones are faster and need more care in use; given the choice, I'd probably pick a 50T powered over a power hammer for forging though.
    Arbor presses are great to use (also can be handy for installing bearings and the likes), reliant upon hand power and need to be bolted down securely or you won't get the leverage.

I have had a fly press and arbour sat in my shed for four years now - ebay purchases. I knew that the would come in useful one day but never got round to working out what to do with them. Thanks James, you've inspired me to go and get some tools made!

I saw this the other day - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM7enAvz6YQ - Kevin Potter demonstrating different ways of using pancake dies. While hammering on the arbor press works, I'd not be happy about doing that to mine.

Youch! The poor arbor press!!

A flatting press works just as well and is a really useful piece of kit. Mine is in daily use for .... well flatting things really! Another thing that I'd be lost without.

Well, if you remove the reducing ring ( I call it the carousel) from the bottom of an upright ring stretcher and substitute a steel block, you will have a useful flatting press.
    Dennis.

Indeed Dennis, but you don't get the very satisfying thump!

I'm assuming that you mean something similar to this Carole?? https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/pl...mer?code=P6540 .....I couldn't survive without mine!!