Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Semi Precious Gemstone identification

"Downsize" "Library"?
    You've lost me

2 gemstone books. Erm, I may have a couple more than that. Lapidary, identification, faceting, setting, eye candy (e.g. Munsteiner)...

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    "Downsize" "Library"?
    You've lost me

2 gemstone books. Erm, I may have a couple more than that. Lapidary, identification, faceting, setting, eye candy (e.g. Munsteiner)...
    Sorry, I was being silly!

I won't get rid of my books! Seems I have enough for their own section in any Wiltshire library! Just so many over the 14 years. Some I Have been as Gifts, many were my own purchases, and one is a rescued book.

Hi Peter,

I notice that you are into gemstones and semi-precious. I have a supplier for rough uncut gemstones and semi-precious stones. Wondering if these might be of any interest to you. Thanks. Joshua.

Hi Patstone, I used to be a geologist but started with a childhood polished stone collection. Most commercially bought stones can easily be identified with good photos - preferably several examples of the same stone because they vary so much - as they tend to be from a limited range. It is much harder from a photo when they are stones collected and tumbled for a hobby as they could be anything from anywhere. Normally you would try a few other tests like hardness, streak, crystal shape (if still obvious) and lustre. You could treat yourself to one of those little gemstone cards with stones stuck on. I know they look a little tacky but they are a great starting point.