Thread: Something strange happened to my bangle whilst pickling

Default Something strange happened to my bangle whilst pickling

Hello everyone,

I started to make three identical bangles yesterday, the first two turned out perfectly but the third one has gone a really strange grey colour whilst in the pickle. It almost looks like it's been oxidised but in a very patchy way! The only thing I did differently with this one was that I was pushed for time and instead of leaving my pickle pot (slow cooker) switched onto hot I turned it off completely whilst I went out, then I left it in cold overnight. This morning I thought it still looked a bit discoloured around the join so I switched the pickle back on and left it, and the next thing I knew it had gone this grey colour! I didn't have anything else in there and only use brass tweezers so really am completely baffled as to what can have caused it!

If anybody can please tell me so I don't do it again I will be very happy!

Thanks, Claire
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5129.jpg  

This happens when you pickle for too long. It's known as too much of a good thing. Re-heat the bangle with a torch and put it back into warm pickle . It should return to normal Clare. (I hope) Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 28-10-2014 at 06:43 PM.

It only happens when the pickle is getting spent. When it starts to look blue it needs replacing.

Oh cool, thank you. At least it sounds easily fixable! And I was sure I read somewhere that it was ok to leave it in the pickle indefinitely -although I can't remember where. Will have to inspect it for blueness too.

Thanks so much

Leaving the item in the pickle for long periods is not a good thing, it will "eat away" at the solder join and might make it fail... Best to pickle "quickly" (until it's done!) and get the item out.
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

Oh no I had no idea it could do that! The solder join still looks ok thank goodness - I won't be doing that again!