Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tumblers...

Default Tumblers...

Are there things you can't put in them? gemstones for example?
    Ive just ordered one, more to harden small items than anything else really ( rivets and that sort of thing) but was wondering what I can and can't put in it.
    Thanks in advance

lots of gemstones can't go in a tumbler. In simple terms anything porous, organic, friable, oil or resin filled or below 5.5 on the mohs scale.
    Last edited by mizgeorge; 27-10-2014 at 02:21 PM.

If you will look back over all our discussions on this Sarah, you will note that the down sides are.

1. It is extremely hard on your finger nails to deal with plastic barrels which have hard plastic lids.

2. Needles, even those from well recommended sources, leave a pinprick texture, which might have to be removed afterwards.

3. I am concerned about your comments on hardening because:
    a. The hardening effect on metals is superficial and minimal, even after several hours.
    b. You really want rivets soft, so that you can spread them. The act of riveting will harden metal quickly enough.

That said, I am sure you will enjoy the blinding finish. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis

I found a few threads on the subject and had decided they probably weren't worth bothering with as far as polishing goes- although did note the accessibility advantage discussed and that they were more useful if you wanted a satin type finish.
    I don't have any fingernails so not too worried about that lol.
    I had missed the info about the hardening effect being minimal should have asked really!

The other people at our studios alwas know when I've been tumbling because they find bits of shot in the washing up

Haha Lydia.. I had to get my other half to take apart our sink because I accidentally tipped half a tumblers worth of shot down the plug hole (I had a broken finger at the time and could barely open the thing!)

I actually love my tumbler for polishing fairly simple pieces (its no good for things with tight spaces). They come out so shiny that most of the time I just sit and stare at them for a bit

Rachael x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I love my tumbler too, didnt know about the fact that it didnt harden silver, was under the impression that it did. So what does harden it then.

Its my understanding that hardening metal only comes from working it, or in some instances prolonged heating in a kiln.

Nick

I've got a tumbler and I love it. I splashed out and bought one with a rubber barrel,and it's really very easy to get the lid on and off. What I also did was go through all the shot and take out the pointy ended pieces - some of the pins are flat ended and I left those - which leaves me with a nice shiny finish, and it does feel like it's hardened it a bit, although maybe I'm just imagining it! Although if you can work harden by hammering it then why not in a tumbler as surely that's a similar effect, the shot is acting like lots of little hammers isn't it?