Thread: Urethane

Default Urethane

This may have limited appeal:

Just spoke to my favourite plastics supplier (which sounded less weird in my head) about the polyurethane they stock. They have 90d Shore A rod in up to 63mm as stock, but will cast other durometers happily. I've asked for a quote for 6x6x1" slabs, I'll let people know what the outcome is.

don't we all have a plastics supplier?

I presume that you are talking about its use in a hydraulic press Peter.

I mainly use nonconforming dies, cut out of perspex and sometimes reinforced for repeated use, in mine. Try as I might I have had no success in using my expensive urethane blocks for this. I suspect that urethane needs to be confined in a metal box.

As a result I continue to use squares of neoprene, cut from sheet which I bought at little cost from the Pentonville Rubber Company about 15 years ago. There is still enough left to see me out. Dennis.

Yes, it's best if you use a container Dennis. Obviously it needs to be very sturdy.

I have a whole load of urethane which I bought with the Bonny Doon. Otherwise I'd have been interested.

Always good to find a UK source for this kind of thing though.

Hi Peter,

I know this is an old thread but have just ordered a hydraulic press and was wondering if your plastics supplier still sold urethane blocks? If not, does anyone have any other recommendations of where to get small amounts of urethane in the UK? I presume for spacers some aluminium blocks from eBay will suffice? I'm new to hydraulic pressing but excited by the opportunities so any tips welcome!

Best wishes,

Tess

Unfortunately, they no longer seem to have urethane on the site AFAICT. Might be worth asking them though.
    https://www.directplastics.co.uk/

For spacers I just use 25mm acrylic slabs, but aluminium would do well.

Urethane, tends to expand sideways in a press, so needs to be confined in a metal box to be really effective.
    By contrast, you can use neoprene rubber sheet(not foam) with non conforming dies, just between to aluminium bocks.

You might search the web for offcuts, for instance here:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neoprene-Ru.../dp/B00FF4TQOM

Ty 2.0mm, 3.0mm, and 5mm, for instance. The pieces can be re-used until they become really damaged.

Once you become sensitive to using only light contact, the aluminium blocks can also be made to flatten sheets and wires, and solder joints on crossed wires for prongs.

Below are my aluminium blocks, a rubber offcut, and an acrylic die strengthened with brass for repeated use. The second picture shows my fish brooch made by this method. You will note it did not damage the texture previously made in a mill. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Non-conforming die1.jpg   Fish Brooch 3b.jpg  

Peter and Dennis,

Thank you so much for your replies. I'll give direct plastics a bell and will definitely look in to the neoprene option.

That's a great idea Dennis. Think I'll need a bit of practice first but that sounds like a brilliant way to flatten sheet!