Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you bend a tube?

everything is helped by a glass of wine I find!

Thanks James, thats really helpful!

As usual, the devil is in the detail.

1.To buy setters cement, you have to buy a kilo. I found it too treacherous when used for its real purpose, so having bought it ages ago and only used one stick, I cant remember where I hid it in shame. Most of us now use Polymorph or similar for holding our work.

2. If used as a temporary filler for tubing, It will be very challenging to fill a bangle sized tube with it, presumably in the form of dust or crumbs, before melting it.

3. Finally having bent the tube and melted out some of the goo, it will need a prolonged soak in meths/vodka to remove all residues. Otherwise the smoke generated when soldering could spoil the joint.

One thing I do predict: To avoid damage, the tube will have to be bent around a wooden mandrel by hand until the ends crossover. To get enough purchase to do this you will need two or three cm of excess at each end.

I have heard that you can form around copper draw down to the size you want, then bend the rod with the last operation being to use acid to remove the copper from the middle. I also think I've seem people fill it with water and freeze, bend then melt.
    Neil

For higher carat gold, yes - nitric will eat the copper and not do much to the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by WitchfordSilver View Post
    I also think I've seen people fill it with water and freeze, bend then melt.
    Reminds me of a recipe for the perfect crime. Stab someone with an icicle.

Thanks again, people. I love the water and ice idea - should help to keep the vodka cold too or did I miss the point?

Or this stuff
    A bit expensive though, but reusable.

Oh, I like the look of that, trialuser. Don't have anything to use it on at the moment though.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop