Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filing bezels and rings

Default Filing bezels and rings

Morning all,

I'm looking for help again. I'm a self-learner, so I don't have a background with all the tools and much of what I do is trial and error.

I've been soldering for a few months now and seem to have the basics down, but I am still having real trouble filing the two ends of my bezels and rings flat. I am certain that nowadays when a solder fails, it's because the join is not completely flush. It seems to take an age for me to try to get things level. I even bought a mitre jig, but of course that doesn't help when I'm trying to join up a circle - the interior edges touch, but the exterior ones don't. I've recently been trying to file with a thin nail emery board slipped in between the two ends - that sort of seems to work - but it takes even longer.

I've searched the net, but all I see is "make sure the ends are flush". No-one ever explains how. I'd really like to see a video or photos of the process. I'd also like some reassurance that it's not just me that can waste 30 mins to an hour trying to get the damn things flush. I only have a cheap set of nail files - is that the problem? Or is it that I'm not holding the piece correctly? I still don't really know how to file against the bench pin.

As you can see, any help (or reassurance) would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Karen

Hi Karen. When cutting a piece of wire for a ring or a bezel, I normally hold the piece so that my saw blade makes contact across the width of it, if that makes sense. I then rub the ends lightly on a piece of sandpaper to take off any burrs but not to remove any metal. After bending the ring so that the 2 ends meet, I saw through the cut which gives a good join.

Soham has several videos on bezels which you may fine helpful- heres the first but if you scroll through his video list there are many more:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rbhTrOtdNY

Are you using paste? as I find solder panels better at covering small gaps- yes I know we shouldn't have them to begin with lol

Ah, interesting, Carolle. I've been using wire cutters, but I'll definitely give it a try with my saw. When you say you cut again after bending the wire do you have the wire overlapping (like the start of a coil) or do you mean you cut the ends off both wires as you push them together to fit? Do you hold the ring with your fingers or masking tape?

Thanks, Enigma.

I had a look at the video, but once again there's nothing there showing the filing. He just cuts with the snips and runs the file up once, so I guess the real work was done off camera...
    Last edited by klevellcaine; 25-10-2014 at 09:56 AM.

I don't think so, I think the idea is that the cut is neat enough not to need much filing

My advice was more for making rings than bezels really. I think the problem here may be that you are using the wrong sort of cutters?

I bend the wire around so that the ends meet (not overlap) with a little tension which holds the ends together. I then cut through where the ends meet.

This tutorial of mine might be of help.

http://www.meevis.com/jewelry-making...king-bezel.htm

You aren't really trying to cut any metal away as such when sawing between the edges just cleaning them up so that they meet cleanly for the solder to flow. I always cut my ring strip with a saw which doesn't give unevenness as snips do. I realise if you are making a lot of them then it's not feasible but it does provide a flatter edge