Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I have no willpower . . .

I'd miss the ability to make quick alterations to the bench pin - I've got a few very small additional V notches in mine that are useful for small items; I've got a notch across the top surface for laying wire & tubing in while cutting, a deep hole for earring pins and so on. For some things I can see the steel one being useful - and anyway, it has dovetails on the back so can slot on & off the bench.

However... I'm also a tool junky who likes to work out for himself what's different or better. In the case of the dread red saws, I bought all 3 sizes having looked at the justifications for them and I use them more than any of my other saw frames. The problem is that with some purchases, there can be difficulty saying "I spent a lot on this and it doesn't do the job"; part of that is down to the feeling that if people admit they goofed, that makes them look foolish. Thankfully I don't think I've done that recently - or possibly either I don't remember doing it or I'm not admitting to myself I have...

I don't think admitting that we've bought duff things makes us look foolish. I think passing on information helps everyone else not to make the same mistake. I was happy to take the flak about the Jooltool before I'd tried it out. Luckily for me, it turned out to be one of the best things in my studio but if it was rubbish, I'd have said so.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I don't think admitting that we've bought duff things makes us look foolish.
    Wasn't quite what I was trying to get across - I've known people get very defensive about spending a lot of money on something that doesn't work and I was suggesting that might be the reason.
    As for the Jooltool, I still think the marketing acts against it...

Just as well I wasn't put off by the marketing. Anie turns out to be a genius despite being a woman with boobs. Who'd have thought it!

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Wasn't quite what I was trying to get across - I've known people get very defensive about spending a lot of money on something that doesn't work and I was suggesting that might be the reason.
    As for the Jooltool, I still think the marketing acts against it...

I'd spend a fortune x10 on tools if I was looking at a new catalogue on a Friday night (beer,armchair,log fire).

Luckily I figured not to do that, & see if I can manipulate existing tools when necessary.
    As for microscopes..no point if you have perfect eyesight.
    You have to remember everything is viewed naturally, & It's dead easy to work so small as to render your effort useless.

Well, I like it a lot so far. I'll never ditch my wood pins - I also love being able to modify them as needed, but this has some very nice features for certain jobs. The angled rail is excellent, and it definitely means I don't have to use a mitre jig, held in a vice, as often as I did, and I love that it's set up to use on both sides as well as forward facing. It fits perfectly onto my GRS base, and I change what I have on there all the time - I have wooden pins set both ways up, inside ring holder (though that should perhaps be on the duff purchase list as I use it so rarely), regular clamp - most often used with the t block - and vice (perhaps my favourite extra for it) and think the dovetail system is completely brilliant.

The little ring attachment is a bonus - makes sawing ring shanks and other round stuff very simple indeed.

There are things I'd change - adding a clamp as standard would make a big difference - especially for cutting angles and it's never going to be an alternative to wood for filing.

I'm not sure how useful the drill guide will be, but only because I tend to use my pillar drill for most things. If it was set up to make it easier to drill (for example) curved or oddly shaped surfaces, it might be of more interest to me, but I tend not to have a #30 handpiece installed as I'm a bit of a quick release fiend, more for speed than anything.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase - it wasn't especially cheap, but it wasn't a lot of money either, and it's better enough for some jobs that I can easily justify it.

I have to say, my tool drawer of shame is pretty small - and contains almost exclusively things I've added to baskets to get, say, up to a free shipping minimum or discount break, along with a few optimistic buys of thing that either looked too good to be true, or resulted from an ill-conceived idea in the first place, usually on my part rather than that of the manufacturer.

And Carole - I'd buy a jooltool in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the cost of shipping and VAT. If I can find a friendly soul travelling back from the US anytime soon, I'll doubtless be negotiating with them...

The shipping was $79.99 which included all the taxes, so I don't think it was too bad. I'm going over next May but I think my suitcase may be full!

I accidentally ordered two of them but realised in time for it to be cancelled. Shame, as you could have had the other. In fact, I may well order another myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    Give me a wooden bench pin any time, better on my hands and tools. No body works on a bench pin without cutting into it with a saw or a file at some time. So to me metal bench pins are a bad idea. My wooden bench pegs are only £3 each and last for years.

James
    I feel much better about admitting my inadequacies now

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Just as well I wasn't put off by the marketing. Anie turns out to be a genius despite being a woman with boobs. Who'd have thought it!
    plus, boobs are fab anyway. Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    plus, boobs are fab anyway. Just sayin'
    Yes they are

Anyhow, there are too many "shortcuts" these days.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 26-10-2014 at 03:51 PM.