Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New hobby

Default New hobby

Hi all

After having photography as a hobby for many years I have become bored of it and have decided to take up jewellery making as a new hobby and would be grateful for any advice and being pointed in the right direction.
    The area I would like to start in is, making stuff by shaping with a hammer. Not sure what it's proper name is for it. I'd be using silver and copper. I'd also like to have ago at coin and fork/spoon jewellery.

I need to buy the tools and materials but as I have no experience I'm not sure of the best place to buy from.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome Jon, photography is a hobby of mine also. There are many suppliers of tools but as a start check out Cookson; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...0/&prdsearch=y
    Just be warned, once you start buying tools there will always be another tool you need. One modern term for shaping with hammers is called anticlastic raising, if you Google this term you can see many videos and info.
    I shape items with hammers in many ways, so if I can ever give advice just ask.

This Andrew Berry video shows anticlastic raising; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhv2PECwIyM

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 22-09-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Hi Jon

Im new here too and have found the folks here to be amazingly knowledgeable and very generous in sharing their knowledge so you have come to the right place
    If you get yourself some copper sheet you can play at ideas cheaply before trying on silver.

I'd just advise that you be absolutely sure you want to do this lol. Be certain you have the money as it's all well and good saying you only want to bash bits of metal with a hammer but IT WILL NOT REMAIN THAT WAY! It might be a good idea to get hold of a basic book so you can get a idea of what you are getting yourself into (I'm sure some of the lovely folk on here will have suggestions)
    Start up wise imho you will need
    1. some decent hammers (fretz are expensive but make me drool)
    2. practice metal (I started straight off with sterling & was fortunately very lucky)
    3. A torch as you will need to anneal as you go along (cooks style torches are good for small pieces but you will soon yearn for more fire power. Torches also soon lead to a desire to solder)
    4.pickle & pickling pot to remove flux or fire stain repellents & the general yucky colour you get from heating most metals (although it can turn copper very pretty colours )
    5. a soldering block on which to anneal the metal
    6. Forms & stakes etc (some of these you can make yourself or utilise things you have hanging about the place)
    7. decent pliers which will minimise the marks left on the metal.
    8. a suitable workbench
    9. a flat stake
    10.a vice
    11. a dremel tool or something similar, preferably with a flexshaft (this is useful for drilling holes for jump rings & interchangeable mops & mandrels can be used in a variety of ways to polish, sand, texture etc so you need all the bits that go with that such as polishing compounds etc) you will definately want to upgrade to a pendant or micromotor if you get hooked which happens so quickly!
    12. micro papers & other miscellanenous items
    I've probably missed quite a bit out............anyone?
    It maybe a good idea to go on a 1 day jewellery course, where you typically learn how to make a pendant or something similar and this should usually cost around £50 - £70 before materials.
    This is an extremely expensive but rewarding hobby and you do get very addicted very quickly! You will never look at tools in the same way again lol
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

Forging is a more basic way of shaping with hammers and might need fewer tools than anticlastic raising? I intend to do the first exercise in the Revere book at some point just because it seems everyone I know wants a simple, silver bangle.

Oh, and welcome to the forum

Many thanks for all your welcomes, advice and links. It's much appreciated. After watching the link, I ended up watching all sorts and now I am unsure of what or where to start in regards to what to start making LOL.

I can see now that it's going to be an expensive hobby. Now the hard part, explaining to my wife. That's an art all on its own . Just hope I can earn a few quid once I get good at making jewelry.

What area of photography do you do Goldsmith? I am more portrait and concept. Here is my work if you want to have a look. http://500px.com/Creativesnaps

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Many thanks for all your welcomes, advice and links. It's much appreciated. After watching the link, I ended up watching all sorts and now I am unsure of what or where to start in regards to what to start making LOL.

I can see now that it's going to be an expensive hobby. Now the hard part, explaining to my wife. That's an art all on its own . Just hope I can earn a few quid once I get good at making jewelry.

What area of photography do you do Goldsmith? I am more portrait and concept. Here is my work if you want to have a look. http://500px.com/Creativesnaps
    I have done all sorts of photography, mostly taking photos of mine and others work. Take a look at my profile album; http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/album.php?albumid=150 they are all my own photos.

James

Very nice. Are they all what you have made or what you have taken?

Forget that question just seen the title. Your work is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Now the hard part, explaining to my wife. That's an art all on its own .
    ummm… she gets to wear the stuff? Is not having your own jeweller at your beck and call not worth the moderate outlay?