Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First ever fair!

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by camalidesign View Post
    I beg to differ, Dennis!! Whatever you do Wallace, do not bury your head in a book or anything else! There is nothing worse than a stall holder that looks completely un-interested in their customers! If you are not interested in your work, nobody else will be either... Always engage, or at least say hello with a smile etc. You can just say hello at first and then leave them to browse for a bit, if they linger offer to help or ask if they are looking for anything in particular. If there are no customers to be seen, take the opportunity to get to know your neighbouring stall holders, go for a quick loo break or get a drink etc. and ask them to cover, then offer to do the same for them.

I used to always take a chair to fairs, but I never used it so I stopped. I tend to feel a bit rude sitting down behind my display, again feels like I am not interested in my customers.

Carin
    I was hoping to use the chair for putting some things on - when I teach, I never sit down and have hips not yet ready for replacements! lol Thank you Carin. I will do my best with my neighbours I am on table 25b - so that tells me there will be a few peeps about. Starting my day at 7am - I know it is going to be a long one.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I will add one of my top tips Wallace - take food that can be eaten in very small bites. Nothing worse than being greeted by a trader with a mouth full of egg and cress sandwich - which can often lead to those Ermintrude moments. Nothing that requires hand wiping either (like crisps and nuts). Learned those ones the hard way.

It's worth making friends with a neighbouring stallie as soon as possible, just in case you need someone to spell you for five minutes for emergency loo breaks etc.
    They are great points G - I think I will take my milk replacement meal in a ready made bottle. Need to get a flask too, will miss my cuppa! Ermintrude! lololol

Hope it all goes really well!!!

Our OS does a visitors feedback survey every year and the thing customers hate most is not being spoken to or given full attention, they don't seem to like books,chatting to friends, they do seem to like to see you work so if you have something you can work away on in a quiet period even if you aren't really doing anything or some partly finished work. If you are a bit shy this might be a problem but at least a hello etc is welcomed by most. I know chairs are provide but a high stool I find handy for being about eye level with people instead of standing which is a beast on a long day so you can at least lean.
    I love selling direct to public it gives me a real buzz but as Carole says I'd take Peter up on his offer, standing and chatting is bad enough but if you factor in sales which you are hoping for then you can get a bit flustered on your own.
    Reading this back we are expected to be superhuman to keep everyone happy!

The tip about perching on a stool is a good one. I used to use an ironing stool which I set on the highest height to perch on.

High stool seat.....then you're not sat behind your display......drawing book/designs generate interest in those quiet moments and are relatively stress free and not costly if you make a stressful mistake!!......lighting is critical....little bite eating and minimal chew-to-swallow......you can guarantee folk will take an interest just as you fill your mouth!!!.....OH........and a HUGE flask (or two) of your favourite culpa.....essential!!!!

Good luck Wallace xxx

People vary, but at mixed craft fairs where I have money to be spent, there is nothing worse for me than being chatted up while I browse the work, or even being looked at expectantly.

I like to look in peace and select what I want, or leave without embarrassment.

That said, the biggest deterrent is to have the stall holder engaged in a conversation with a visiting friend, or neighbouring stall holder, so that you feel like an intruder. Dennis.

It's a fine line between ignoring people and looking approachable. I usually just smile, say "good morning" (or afternoon!) and then leave them to look.

Best of luck Wallace, I'm sure you'll do well, your pieces are lovely. I always take a chair for when there is no-one in the room (it happens at the fairs I've done) and for hiding nibbles etc. on and, call me old fashioned, but I use a duplicate pad for written receipts. Luckily, chainmaille is very portable and so that is usually what I take to work on to keep my hands busy.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

My daughter and I do a Craft Fair every month and have done since we started about 4 years ago. The trick is to have very good lighting and low enough not to blind the customer. Keep the colours for the tablecloth fairly neutral, either pale grey, beige or similar and dont forget to put the company name and of course business cards on the table. It may be a good idea to introduce some height too, we sometimes use stones from the beach or wood bark and chunks of slate. You may have to have insurance too, better to check if you havent got it. Cant think of anything else, we have noticed that it pays to say that "we make all the components ourselves" as a lot of people assume hand made means you buy bezels etc and just put things together where there isnt really any skill, but if you say you make it out of silver sheet and wire in your spare bedroom , it grabs their imagination. Good luck with it, let us know how you get on.

Good luck Wallace!

I really enjoy visiting craft fairs and the people who stay in my memory long after the event are those who are working on something, will acknowledge you with a cheery hello, and then are happy to engage with you if you have any questions about their work, technique, and inspiration.

If you have a design/work-in-progress journal to include in your display, that can help people to appreciate what is involved in hand crafted items without taking up a lot of your time,

Those who sit behind their stall texting, chatting to their friends or stuffing sandwiches have me walking on by.

As you will be on your own apart from Peter's generous offer of support, perhaps give some thought to security. A friend of mine regularly does craft fairs and always has someone with her. Nevertheless she has lost stock to light fingered folk taking advantage of busy periods and easily accessible small items. I think it's a fine line between not creating a barrier between your stock and people who want to try it on, take a closer look etc., and those who will spirit things away while your attention is elsewhere.

Your work is sure to attract interest, so here's to a successful first event.