Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Smiths Little Torch

Hello all.

Well the little torch arrived today and I'm now just waiting to order the Oxycon once business resumes after New Year.

In the meantime though I think I've had a bit of a success in discovering a way of linking up the Oxycon to the torch WITHOUT butchering the hose and faffing on with glue etc.

Photos and explanation to follow very soon!

Nick

I got my latest oxycon and little torch from Tuffnells and it came ready to connect. For some reason it doesn't work as well as my original one as the oxygen keeps blowing out the flame. Tuffnells haven't been very helpful and I've lost count of the times I've left a message for a call back.

Try turning it down even more than you think Carole - some of the reconditioned units can be a bit more powerful at the lower levels than they appear, and that's usually what makes the flame blow out.

That's interesting Carole.. but do you mean ready to connect AND use immediately?

That's great if it's the case, but it's my understanding that they only come supplied partially ready to go?

As in.. Oxycon connected to length of tubing, but not supplied with the connector at the other end which attaches to the hex screw fitting on the end of the green oxygen torch line.

If I'm wrong then job done!

Cheers,

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I got my latest oxycon and little torch from Tuffnells and it came ready to connect. For some reason it doesn't work as well as my original one as the oxygen keeps blowing out the flame. Tuffnells haven't been very helpful and I've lost count of the times I've left a message for a call back.
    I had that problem also Carole.
    Try letting the oxycon run and vent through the open oxygen side of the torch for 15 minutes, then it should light ok. (switch off O2 knob, light Propane, open O2 slowly)
    Even with the biggest nozzle on, mine is happy with a flow rate of only 1 lpm from the oxycon, and this is restricted further by the oxy valve on the torch..
    Because of the way the oxygen and fuel is mixed inside the torch (rather than just outside the nozzle), you are effectively trying to burn a 'rich' air / propane mix rather than an oxy / propane mix, if the oxycon has not concentrated the oxygen to a sufficiently high concentration. This 'rich air' will blow the flame out.
    Nick, I think when you have all the bits in your hands you will find it's not nearly as complicated as you think it's going to be.

Edit:Tuffnel sell this stuff if you need it. I'm not with the torch at the moment but from memory, a coupler and a nut & tail might be what you'd need if you don't have them.
    Last edited by trialuser; 31-12-2014 at 08:22 AM.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I mentioned earlier about releasing the pressure. Open just the air valve and let the pressure drop. That takes no more than a few seconds. Light up the gas, open the air valve, and reduce the flame. as G mentions, it really doesn't need much.

Going back to invisibility mode

Good evening all.

As promised, I'm going to post a complete step-by-step guide on how to setup the Smiths Little Torch using an Oxycon and a Propane cylinder.

I appreciate that lots of the more experienced members on here know all this stuff already, and whilst there was no difficulty in the actual setup of it all, it was mind boggling to begin with.

Part of the problem ( to my mind anyway ) was that in order to get everything up and running you're looking at around £450 - £500 if sourcing the torch from the UK like I happily did. And if you're spending a chunk of money on a bit of kit, then you really do need to understand what you're buying otherwise its hard to justify the expenditure.

Anyway onto the actual setup which was in reality very easy indeed, and as one or two members had already mentioned. When I googled the Oxycon / Smiths setup ages ago, info came back about cutting the hoses on the torch, gluing suff together, heat shrinking the plastic hoses etc, all of which were not necessary as I have since found out.

1. Heres my Smiths Little Torch. It comes as standard with six various sized tips, but I also bought this melting 'multijet' tip for £35.00. As you can see, theres a green hose for oxygen, and a red hose for the fuel. Both connectors are UK fittings as I bought from Cooksons.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smiths1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	7202

2. Heres the clear hose that connects to the Oxycon and the green 'oxygen' hose on the torch. This is the end that connects to the torch, and I asked Tuffnells to attach this for me so zero DIY needed!

Name:	smiths2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	7203

3. This is the other end of the clear hose, the part that attaches to the Oxycon itself. The green 'Christmas Tree' connector was pre-attached by Tuffnells too, and it simply screws onto the Oxycon. Dead simple.

Name:	smiths3.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	7204

4. This is a picture of the clear hose connected to the Oxycon, and the other end awaiting connection to the green Oxygen line on the torch. Tuffnells supply the clear hose by the way.

Name:	smiths4.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	7205

5. Heres a picture of the clear hose running from the Oxycon, connected to the green Oxygen line on the torch. I tightened by hand then nipped gently with an adjustable spanner.

Name:	smiths5.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	7206

Part two follows...

6. This is a picture of the Propane fuel tank. The regulator that you see attached to the tank, is the one that I used for my large Sievert torch. As indicated on the photo, you also need a 'fuel-type flashback arrestor' for safety reasons, and this attaches to the regulator where the arrow is indicating. So the setup would be Propane tank > regulator > flashback arrestor > Smiths Torch.

My flashback arrestor hasn't yet arrived, hence why its not pictured.

Name:	smiths6.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	7207

7. This is how the red Propane line would look when attached to the cylinder. BUT bear in mind the flashback arrestor would also be attached as per what I said in point 6.

Name:	smiths7.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	7208

Then all thats left to do is to fire up the Oxycon and the gas. I must admit that I tried to do this minus the flashback arrestor in order to test the Oxycon machine. I only ran it all for about ten minutes, and it worked perfectly.

My machine was slightly damaged in transit ( filter cover broken ) but I suspect it was entirely the fault of Parcelfarce and not Tuffnells. However Martin was very prompt and helpful throughout everything, and he has kindly posted me a replacement cover which is great.

So... to then fire up the torch heres what I did.

1. Once everythings connected up properly, turn on the Oxycon but make sure the valves on the torch are both closed.

2. Let the Oxycon run for a while ( I let it run for 15 mins ) then open the Oxygen valve on the torch to bleed it, then close again.

3. Turn on the propane, light the torch until you've a six inch flame or thereabouts.

4. Slowly open up the oxygen valve on the torch, watching the pressure on the Oxycon, and adjust the propane valve until you get the flame you're after. For my initial test, it was a sharp blue flame for melting down silver. Worked flawlessly.

I'm sure I've missed some info in all of this, but hopefully I've also demystified some of the process too for the uninitiated like I was a short while ago.

Now I'm looking forward to using it properly once the flashback arrestor arrives, and I'll relegate the sievert for large annealing jobs I think.

Cheers,

Nick

I tend to open the oxygen tap on the torch before I turn on the oxycon and then let it run for about 10-15mins then shut it and light the gass etc. once i turn the flame off- oxy first gass second I then open the oxygen tap again to let the oxycon breath.

Going to put a bypass hose on the oxycon line at some point to bled off a 1lt/pm or so to maintain a flow when the torch is off.

Whats you oxycon called? tufnells seem to give them all names
    Neil

Mines called Doris, and she's a pretty girl