Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smiths Little Torch

Default Smiths Little Torch

Good afternoon everyone,

I currently have two blowtorches for jewellery making.

One is a large sievert that I use for melting and casting, and the other is a small torch for soldering and annealing.

However, the small torch sometimes struggles when annealing or soldering larger items so I'm looking to purchase a Smiths torch asap.

The confusing part for me isn't the torch or the tips, but the setup. I'm looking to use a propane / oxygen setup ( can't be bothered with the oxygen recycling gizmo ) but I believe I need flashback arresters and regulators and I haven't a clue what I'm looking at.

It's brilliant that Cooksons are selling the torch and the tips, but I need somewhere that can say 'Propane and oxygen setup? Okay.. Here's everything you need Barr the fuel'.

Anyone got any ideas which firm does this please?

Cheers,

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do reconsider on the oxycon Nick - it's cheaper (in the long run), much, much safer, and a doddle to set up.

Nick, this is the type of oxygen regulator I use; https://www.weldequip.com/oxygen-regulator.htm it has two dials, one tells you how much pressure you have in the cylinder and the other is the adjustable oxygen output pressure.
    and these are the flashback arrestors; https://www.weldequip.com/flashback-arrestors.htm

You just need a standard regulator on the propane cylinder, like these; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Propane-Regu...ulator+propane

I have a double outlet regulator and have my Seivert piped into the same propane cylinder.

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 23-10-2014 at 02:32 PM.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I have an oxy flashback arrestor, never used.

I'd agree with George. The Oxycon is much safer and very easy to use.

I switched from oxygen cylinder to the Oxycon.....I'd highly recommend it too Nick.....firstly it doesn't get your insurance twitchy!!!!.....it is easy to use and always there at hand....it doesn't run out.....by the time you've paid your bottle charge and oxygen fill/refill.....you'll soon recoup your money!!!

When I first set-up I used BOC....very helpful and did exactly as you suggested.....you need this and this....now just the fuel.....(but I'd still use an oxycon...I do still get my propane through them)

Thanks everyone, and also for the links James.

To clarify, on each hose line coming from the Smiths torch ( one to oxygen, one to propane ) do I need BOTH an arrestor and a regulator per hose?

Does this also apply if I'm using an Oxycon device, and apologies if this has been covered a multitude of times before, but where do you folks buy your Oxycon device from?

Cheers,

Nick

Yes,
    If you're using tanks, you need everything you can get on both lines!

For a propane/oxycon setup, you need only an arrestor and regulator on your propane bottle, and nothing on the oxygen line.

The best value for oxycons is from Tuffnell Glass, who sell very well reconditioned ex-medical machines - http://www.tuffnellglass.com/contents/en-uk/d103.html which are more than enough to run a smith's torch - in fact, you need to run them at less than 50% of full capacity. I've used one for some years now - though to be fair, I already had it for lampworking - and have never had a problem with it. It's safer, requires no contracts, and can be kept indoors too. Second hand ones pop up from time to time both on Frit Happens (the glassy forum) and on ebay.

Right.. I'm getting somewhere in my head now thanks!

It's visualising how it all links together that's the difficult bit for me.

Guessing that with the Oxycon setup I'm looking at about £400+ minus the propane but it's not a fortune I suppose.

Can I be really cheeky and ask one of you guys if you'd mind posting a photo of how the arrestor / regulators fit onto your gas tank please?

Thanks,

Nick

I use just a propane bottle with a torch like the Sievert, what is the advantage of using oxygen and propane.