Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Smiths Little Torch

Nick, many thanks indeed for sharing this with us!

I've just got a couple of questions initially:
    1. Do you know whether the propane regulator you've got there can be used with the small disposable propane cylinders such as are used by plumbers or can it only be used with the refillable tanks like the one shown in your workshop? If the answer is only the second type, do you know whether a different propane regulator is available to make the Little Torch compatible with the small disposable tanks?
    2. Can I assume from the fact that it's not arrived yet that you bought your flashback arrestor from someone other than Tuffnell's? If so, is there a particular reason why?
    Many thanks!
    Mark.

Hi Mark,

I'm not familiar with the small plumbers tanks but if they've got the same sized thread, then I'm presuming they'd work with such a regulator? If not, then just get a refillable one like mine. It's 19ltr I think, cost me £30, and it's still going strong over 2yrs later!

As for the arrestor, I didn't realise that Tuffnells sold them prior to ordering the Oxycon otherwise I'd have ordered it from them.
    I ordered it from Weldequip about a week ago and should be here tomorrow.

Cheers,

Nick

The small plumbers tanks are what I know as Bernzomatic cylinders (although made by far more people than just them); they do not use a POL connector, it's an external thread. There are attachments that go on them (CF Orca), but AFAIK there are no "proper" single stage regulators.

Mine's midge. I'd rather have a Fiona or Penelope or something
    Something horsey

Wallace - if you still have the Oxyge Arrestor for sale - I would like it please.

Can you send me an email to philongold@gmail.com

Many thanks
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    I have an oxy flashback arrestor, never used.

Hi, it's philongold here again.

Just to get things clear in my head - Does the Oxycon replace the standard oxygen bottle?

I ask because I need some type of fine torch with Oxygen - I was thinking of buying the Smiths Little Torch myself. I understand I need two bottles - one bottle with gas like propane for example and one Oxygen, two hoses and two Arrestors (one for each hose). I will also need a Regulator - do I need one regulator for each of the bottles?

Does anyone have a second hand setup I could buy? If so please email me at philongold@gmail.com

Thanks guys and ladies

Phil

You're welcome Sarah. The other members will now be relieved I've stopped asking questions about the Smiths torch I'm sure

Phil: Yes the Oxycon replaces the oxygen cylinder. It's also a lot safer using the Oxycon. I used to be in Fire Service and know only too well the danger of such things and others have pointed this fact out too. Also much cheaper in the long term.

You also don't need an arrestor / regulator if using the Oxycon. Just for the propane.

Tuffnell Glass sell everything you need with the Oxycon, and just let them know you're attaching to a Smiths.

Cheers,

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    The small plumbers tanks are what I know as Bernzomatic cylinders (although made by far more people than just them); they do not use a POL connector, it's an external thread. There are attachments that go on them (CF Orca), but AFAIK there are no "proper" single stage regulators.
    Thanks for the info.

Default Torches bought in the US

Hi Nick, thanks for all your info on the torch set-up - i've been going through the same thing!! Could I add one more point (again for someone starting out on this confusing journey!) - if you buy an american torch with american hoses then the process is the same except:
    1) the (US) hose connects directly with the Oxy Con (the US fittings are the same as the Tuffnell oxy con fitting)
    2) to fit your UK flashback & regulator you simply remove the supplied fitting from the (american) gas hose, and replace with a *for mecco midget, little torch etc* 4.8mm hose nozzle with ⅜" LH thread. 4.8mm is the internal dia of the hose i have for the Mecco, obviously others might be different... it's a couple of pounds for the new fitting.

I have gone down this path as I wanted a torch which i've found hard to buy in the UK (mecco midget) as it is most similar to the one I apprenticed with. After maybe hours working out what to buy where and how to fit it all together, this is the easy solution I found after trying a few different options (adapters etc).

Sorry if it's old news to everyone but me! ... I wasted £20 on a couple of dead ends before i worked this out - happy if I can save someone else the expense!