Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Smiths Little Torch

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I let the air run through the system without the gas, to relax the pressure for every first use of the day. It is a method that works well, is now a routine and means I have no running problems with it at all.

Thanks for the photo trial user.. Interesting.

So.. Am I right in saying that you've used the flashback arrestor purely because of its connectors instead of butchering the original hose on the torch?

As far as I'm aware you don't need an arrestor on the Oxycon line so it's my best guess!

If I'm right then that would solve my query. Presume you can buy the male connector on the rhs of the arrestor easily enough right?

Cheers,

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, you don't really need a flash back arrestor with an oxycon, I think they may have a small tank in them but I think it's more of a receiver than a full blown pressurised tank.
    I used the fba because I originally worked from oxygen cylinders and had it anyway, and yes I just bought the fitting from a welding supplies place, I don't know what it's called, I just took the arrestor in and asked. I expect you could go from torch hose fitting to pushfit via an adapter but I don't know what it's called.
    You will probably find when you start up the oxycon, it will take a few minutes before you are able to light the torch. This is because it takes a while to concentrate the oxygen to a high enough percentage to enable it to support the combustion of the propane. I think a brand new super dooper one will probably only get to 98% ish Oxygen, I reckon a recon one will be more like 90% - 94%, as you know, fresh air is 21% ish.
    They are mean to be used by patients with respiratory disease and are used with either a nasal cannula or mask. These are open circuit and present little or no restriction to the flow produced by the oxycon. When you connect your torch and close the oxygen control knob, you effectively block the output of the oxycon. The machine then thinks the hose has a blockage or the patient is being inflated and gets upset and shows a warning light (although it continues to work). The way around this is to do something similar to what I have done, or just loosen the xmas tree connector at the oxycon so it can leak out.
    If you get yours from Tuffnel glass you may end up with one like mine, the manual is here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehwjirssru...Guide.pdf?dl=0

Thanks once again for all the info as its proved very useful. Im certain Im not the only person buying this torch / oxycon setup whos baffled at the connection side of things, so perhaps the mods could make this a sticky thread so that others could reference it? Just an idea.

Im intending to buy the £235 model from Tuffnels although for some reason I do begrudge spending the money on the oxycon to begin with. Perhaps Im just being tight because I've not used an oxygen setup before and therefore havent been stung by the rental fees, or maybe its because I'd rather spend it on another tool!

Once the suppliers are back to normal business after the New Year period, then I'll place my order for both items, followed by a tour of local welding suppliers.. wherever they may be!

Cheers,

Nick

Please keep us updated on progress, Nick. There are other people in the same position as you looking in, even more in the dark about what you're in the dark about, if you catch my drift.

Absolutely. I'm going to post a pic by pic tutorial of the setup process and what bits are needed etc.

Nick

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

The oxycon will be one of your most used and appreciated tools in no time.

My system cost me 200 euros 3 years ago. The year prior to that I spent 235 euros in oxygen alone, not including the 7 years prior to that. It will be your best investment ever! Les.
    Poor old Les

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post
    Absolutely. I'm going to post a pic by pic tutorial of the setup process and what bits are needed etc.

Nick
    I for one would really appreciate that Nick!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post

Nick
    Thanks Nick. Will be useful for me too. Upgrading from a hand-held to a grow-up torch is quite a big step into the unknown as there's nowhere to road test what's available.

Susie.